School attendance - the law

(6 Posts)
FFSMartha Wed 19-Oct-16 16:05:48

My neighbour has an 11 year old who had meningitis a year ago. He seems to be fine on the surface but his mother insists he has hidden problems. I am not disputing this (I don't know them well enough) but my own child goes to school with her son and he is a complete arse. He's always been spoilt and was often a problem at primary school (before he was ill, so not due to meningitis), and is getting worse by the week from what I hear. Expects special treatment from teachers if he doesn't feel like doing lessons (eg often can't do gym as is tired, but is always able to play football for local club with no problem or sign of tiredness), Lord's it over the other kids by telling them he doesn't have to do anything in school he finds difficult or tiring - in fact doesn't have to go to school at all if he doesn't want to.

Anyway that's the potted background, school have just sent out the annual letter about attendance and his Mum was making a big production of tearing up the letter in the car park while telling everyone that it doesn't apply to her special little snowflake as their Meningitis charity worker has told her she doesn't have to send him to school if she feels he shouldn't be there.

I feel really sorry for her son. Surely the way to go would be to treat him as normally as possible and only take decisions to step out of the norm if really necessary? And does the law really state that you can just keep a child away from school in these circumstances without medical notes or having to home school?

lljkk Wed 19-Oct-16 20:14:50

yeah... maybe.. .but keep TF out. Hopefully the boy will turn out ok anyway.

monkeywithacowface Wed 19-Oct-16 20:19:49

That's quite a long post for something that really doesn't affect you in anyway! Not sure why you're bothered TBH

HedgehogHedgehog Wed 19-Oct-16 20:27:04

i dont think its really any of your business? There was a girl like this i was at school with who didnt appear ill but had underlying issues that no one really understood. She attended school when she felt like it, did whatever activities she felt like etc... at the time i was jealous. When i was an adult i had her sister as a friend on facebook and it turned out that this girl died at the age of 22 due to her health problems. So i think probably in the end everyone was glad she had got to do whatever she wanted for the short time she got to be alive.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Wed 19-Oct-16 20:27:28

I had (viral) meningitis six years ago. In just a few areas it still affects me now. Specific changes which date back to that illness. So yes he could still have the after effects or maybe he is just spoilt.

prh47bridge Wed 19-Oct-16 20:48:49

The law states that absence due to illness or other unavoidable cause is not a breach of the attendance requirement.

I agree with others that you should not get involved. This is between the school and the parents. If the school is happy they are, presumably, convinced that absences are due to illness. If the school is not happy they can initiate enforcement action.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now