Please tell me about these two schools in Bury St Edmunds pls?

(7 Posts)
Malaryush Mon 17-Oct-16 16:07:50

Am in such a quandry.
Dc1 is currently in yr 3 at primary and have been wondering which secondary to send them to.

There is County Upper, 'Outstanding' ofstead rating, easy to get to or King Edward IV school Ofstead is 'good' also easy to get to.

If we decide to go with County, I have been told I need to go to its 'feeder' middle school as children from this school are prioritised over others.
In order to go to this 'feeder' school I would need to drive which I am currently learning and will need to have passed by next Sept. However I need to apply by January 2017. Bit of a gamble seeing as I havent passed yet.
I guess my question is this:
Is County Upper worth the extra effort and stress I will need to put in? It has a good reputation but I dont know anyone whose actually been or had kids there.
Equally I dont know how good King Edwards is either. Its really stressing me out at the moment as I really dont know which is the better school.

I really appreciate anyone who knows anything about either of these two.

pointythings Mon 17-Oct-16 20:27:32

I live in Mildenhall and my DDs go to our local secondary which is rated Good, but I have friends in Bury who say they would never send their children to County Upper - it may be rated Outstanding, but that doesn't mean everything. You really need to visit both schools and get a feel for them.

Blueisthemagicnumber Mon 17-Oct-16 20:58:51

I live well out of catchment for either school, but have known children to go for KEGS over more local schools. The middle schools are also closing, so make sure you are applying to where you need to go.

Malaryush Tue 18-Oct-16 09:31:16

Thanks for your replies.
I do intend a visit to both but just wanted to gauge any local impressions initially.
The three tier change to two tier is a funny one because some are closing some are turning into academies and some like the ones associated with County Upper seem like they're staying as three tier.
Also, there was a protest recently about the local council green-lighting a new build academy middle school that was using money ear marked to assist 3 tier to 2 tier schools! It's all very confusing.
Thanks for your input.

Blueisthemagicnumber Tue 18-Oct-16 13:30:42

Like I said, I live a little away from there, so only read bits in the news!

devilinmyshoes Tue 18-Oct-16 13:37:33

My daughter has a friend currently at KEGS, we are miles and miles away but she (daughter) had a 6th form place there (didn't take it up due to various problems, autistic spectrum condition, she's studying from home) but we were so so impressed by the school as a whole. It doesn't feel like your standard Suffolk state school (which are mainly happy to muddle along being unexceptional).

Malaryush Tue 18-Oct-16 21:41:26

Oh thats encouraging, thanks.
I had an awful secondary school experience so am being extra careful with our choices.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now