Is it wired to go to 6th form open evenings without dd?

(18 Posts)
Balletgirlmum Fri 14-Oct-16 23:19:15

Dd is currently in year 10 at school quite a long way from home. She finishes very late & also has compulsory Saturday morning school. Occasionally she boards.

She's more than likely going to return 'home' for 6th form. However if she decides to audition for a performing arts college instead she will heed to know where she is applying & get prepared next September at the latest.

We are currently getting flyers through & seeing adverts for various open days & evenings but she can't actually get here to attend.

Would it be strange if I went on her behalf to initially suss them out & ask if they can offer what she wants or will that seem too strange?

BackforGood Fri 14-Oct-16 23:38:41

Not weird at all.
I went to two without my dd, as the school had arranged a foreign exchange in the same week they were held. No issue at all.

Lindor Fri 14-Oct-16 23:48:25

Personally, I would find it a bit odd. At that age it's their choice where they go, although it's normal to go along with them to open evenings.

How you perceive the institution would be completely different to their perception, and if you persuade them to go somewhere you like, it could come back to bite you...

just my thoughts.

Balletgirlmum Fri 14-Oct-16 23:54:39

It's just a shame they all seem to be 6-8pm when she doesn't finish school until 6pm & doesn't get home until 7.45pm.

Peach9876 Sat 15-Oct-16 01:49:31

If you know what DD is looking for and have similar ideas about a 'feel' to the school then I don't see an issue with it under those circumstances.
I would have an issue if she was refusing to go, as I'd be saying she needs to be involved, but if she can't attend because she's doing school work then thats that. Go for her, if she's only in year 10 anyway she can come next year to make sure.

lljkk Sat 15-Oct-16 02:19:28

No open mornings on weekend?
DD (also yr10) refused to go to our local college open events last week. Arrrgggghhhhh.

Balletgirlmum Sat 15-Oct-16 07:35:31

She has compulsory Saturday morning school.

Decorhate Sat 15-Oct-16 07:46:36

I would just take her out of school early for a few that you think are real possibilities.

RalphSteadmansEye Sat 15-Oct-16 08:49:10

No, it's not weird. I went to some sixth form open evenings on my own when ds was yr 10 but of course he'll come in yr 11. With him, it was more about avoiding anxiety of having to think about the future until it's actually necessary.

senua Sat 15-Oct-16 09:29:07

It makes sense to me! You do the multiple visits / first sift in Year 10, but then she makes a priority of a few new-school-open-days over old-school in Y11.

MrsJayy Sat 15-Oct-16 09:35:28

Would she not get time off for open days/evenings I would imagine other kids are in the same boat, its her 6th form not yours. I would ask school for a few hours off so she gets home earlier so she can go with you.

TeenAndTween Sat 15-Oct-16 09:46:13

Makes sense to me.

You go and do fact finding, bring back brochures/flyers. She looks at her leisure, works out questions to ask and goes along more focussed to a later open evening.

tiggytape Sat 15-Oct-16 11:38:36

DS is in Year 11 and most 6th forms seem to say it is O.K for him to go without us. None of them have mentioned us going without him.

Year 10 is different though - you're doing more of a fact finding mission rather than actually getting a feel for a place and how it might suit DD. Your DD can still visit all of her short list next year with all the other Year 11's who will be doing the same and see how she feels about each one.

tiggytape Sat 15-Oct-16 11:41:40

I would say though that she'll need to go to some next year even if it means being signed out of school early or missing Saturday morning school. Hopefully your research this year will help whittle down the list for next year and save some time.

Balletgirlmum Sat 15-Oct-16 14:30:04

MrsJay-

It's not that usual. She is one of the few who is thinking of going back to a more academic school rather then vocational college. What often happens is that all of these institutions exhibit at a national event held on a Sunday. Dds school hosted it last year but it's in London this year.
There are workshops & staff members etc available to talk to.

Dd is instead looking at local 6th forms.

I've just been told by a parent if a child in year 10 that permission was refused for several students to attend a "rival"school open day yesterday. It would have involved a whole day off due to travel.

Balletgirlmum Sat 15-Oct-16 14:31:41

Sorry it's a year 11 parent who told me of the refusal.

Balletgirlmum Sat 15-Oct-16 14:32:43

For those staying in the vocational system there will be a full day audition/interview often with a recall involved for each school they apply to.

tiggytape Sat 15-Oct-16 19:05:13

Even if they refuse formal permission they cannot stop her attending interviews and open days at other schools. The worst they can do is mark it down as unauthorised (it wouldn't attract a fine for a single day as the fines only kick in only after 5 days or so depending on the local authority - none of them fine for a single day).

If she is seriously contemplating other schools, she really does need to see then at some stage no matter what her current school thinks about that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now