Where to find statistics and information about high schools

(10 Posts)
OdinsLoveChild Thu 29-Sep-16 11:35:48

Our high school only ever refers to RAISEonline when they talk about facts and figures, the attainment gap, value added scores etc

Are there any other websites I can view to find other information about the school? I do feel we may not be being told the entire truth about the school when they only ever recommend 1 site to look at.

HPFA Thu 29-Sep-16 12:02:58

If you go to the D of E website you can click on the link to School Performance Tables. Put in the school's name and you should get a full page for the school. You need to look for "Download full set of school data". It appears after the school's address but before the bar charts for Performance in 2015. Click on one of the options and you'll get the spreadsheet with all the school data on it. Be warned - there's a huge amount. What sort of information are you specifically looking for?

OdinsLoveChild Thu 29-Sep-16 12:16:55

The head teachers figures just don't sound correct on closing the attainment gap and improvements in GCSE grades etc.
He is suggesting the attainment gap is now tiny but he is only offering data from RAISEonline.
I managed to find last years (2015) newspaper publication of the GCSE exam results and the percentage pass rates quoted in the paper are different from those he was telling everyone at the open evening. I just want to check as many sources I can to see where he is either misrepresenting figures or just getting it plain wrong.

HPFA Thu 29-Sep-16 12:43:49

On the page mentioned previously instead of "Download full set of school data" you can go further down past the bar graphs to "Performance of disadvantaged Pupils" which appears under Additional Data. This is a link to a different school so you know what it all looks like:

www.compare-school-performance.service.gov.uk/school/138490

OdinsLoveChild Thu 29-Sep-16 14:57:22

Thanks.

TeenAndTween Thu 29-Sep-16 15:07:07

Figures quoted in newspapers in August will likely be lower than final 'official' figures due to some grades going up following remarks.

OdinsLoveChild Thu 29-Sep-16 16:54:49

Teenandtween the newspaper is higher. 70% in the newspaper and 59% used in the literature and speech at open evening.
I still can't see which are the correct figures as online they're different again. I wish they just said x% gained x GCSEs and all the figures showed the same percentage.

RaspberryIce Thu 29-Sep-16 17:08:23

70% might be 5 x A - C and 59% might be 5 x A - C including English and Maths.

senua Thu 29-Sep-16 18:15:21

They used to do an interesting thing called Data Dashboard. This compared your school to other schools like it - no comparing apples and oranges. It was quite interesting for DS's school: on the face of it the school achieved good results (compared to national figures) but considering where they should be (compared to other leafy-suburbs) it was dire. The Head left fairly soon after the Governors cottoned on.
However, I've just looked at it and THE WEBSITE IS CLOSING TOMORROW. Get over there while you can!
Data Dashboard

Longlost10 Thu 29-Sep-16 21:24:02

don't get too hung up on the data, it really means very little, almost none is statistically significant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now