Would children going into year 10 be expected to do much work over the summer holidays just before?

(21 Posts)
2StripedSocks Sun 25-Sep-16 15:37:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pointythings Sun 25-Sep-16 18:09:57

I think it depends on the school. DD1 was given no work to do going from Yr9 into Yr10, just a recommendation to keep reading widely and to keep up with current affairs. She's at a very good comprehensive.

She did get quite a lot going from Yr10 into Yr11, lots of prep for various CAs - but these are going so no idea what will happen with DD2.

lastminute1 Sun 25-Sep-16 18:21:23

DS is at a very academic independent and NO, he had no homework over holidays!

goodbyestranger Sun 25-Sep-16 20:21:44

I have a DD just started Y10 (superselective grammar in case that's relevant) and no schoolwork whatsoever was done over the summer just gone.

aquawoman Sun 25-Sep-16 20:23:28

No, year 10 is the start of a two year course, so anything given in year 9 wouldn't be relevant. The GCSE course starts with the start of year 10 in September,

Unluckyirish Sun 25-Sep-16 21:33:54

At the school my Dd just left they were given GCSE homework to complete for all their options to bring back on the 1st day of year 10

goodbyestranger Sun 25-Sep-16 22:20:45

That's not correct any longer aquawoman, a lot of schools have moved or are moving to a three year GCSE programme starting in Y9. My DD is one of those doing a three year programme but nevertheless hasn't had anything to do in the summer between Y9 and Y10.

Bobochic Mon 26-Sep-16 12:45:49

Maybe ask your DC's school directly? Though some things, like assigned reading, aren't incompatible with big trips.

FiveHoursSleep Mon 26-Sep-16 17:23:32

At my DD's school, the girls doing art, graphic and photography as GCSE options all had homework. None of the others did.

Davros Mon 26-Sep-16 19:01:31

DD is doing 3 year gcse courses. She has just gone into year 9. For some reason, which I find very annoying, her school always gives them LOTS of homework over the summer. When she goes back they hardly check it but you just don't know which one will and which one won't. I helped her by doing 23 pages of rubbish French, which she won't be doing for gcse, and it's never been looked at!

AChickenCalledKorma Mon 26-Sep-16 22:57:06

DD1 has just started year 10. She was asked to read her three GCSE English literature texts during the summer holiday, so they could get going on the course straight away. We have also just been away for a big trip, for the whole summer holidays, so it was a bit of an unwelcome reminder of normal life. But at least the books were reasonably portable and we've all had plenty of time to discuss what on earth is going on in The Lord of the Flies is.

(Hope your trip goes well!)

Suttonmum1 Tue 27-Sep-16 14:47:59

Worth checking if there are any DofE trips, if your school does it.

AChickenCalledKorma Wed 28-Sep-16 17:12:41

DofE doesn't start till year 10 here - do some schools start earlier?

MyVisionsComeFromSoup Wed 28-Sep-16 17:19:34

We do bronze DofE in Y9, but the expeditions are during term time (albeit right at the end). No homework in the summer before Y10, despite having started maths/English/science GCSE content in y9.

I'd say check with your school, head of year/tutor should be able to help

WyfOfBathe Wed 28-Sep-16 17:32:12

We do 3-year GCSEs, but the school don't generally keep all class lists the same between y9 and 10, so as a teacher there would be no point me setting HW when half of the class would be with a different teacher next year.

You could ask the school, e.g. head of year, but unless there's a school policy on it they might not be able to answer.

Homework could probably be done on a trip anyway if need be, especially if on an aeroplane or anything, although some tasks might need an internet connection.

Badbadbunny Wed 28-Sep-16 20:04:29

Our son has just gone into year 10. He had a few bits of homework as they do 3 year GCSE courses starting in year 9. A bit of German, Physics, Chemistry and Biology, but not much at all that would stop your Summer activities.

yeOldeTrout Wed 28-Sep-16 20:12:01

DD just started yr10. Her lot were asked to read a relatively short book and.. something else. But it wasn't a lot. Definitely plenty of kids did nothing or did it all in a weekend.

BackforGood Wed 28-Sep-16 20:17:02

No

poisonedbypen Wed 28-Sep-16 20:19:02

My 3 have never had any homework over the summer holidays. Ever.

HidingFromDD Wed 28-Sep-16 20:31:37

Mine had a big art project for those taking art

thisagain Wed 28-Sep-16 21:22:45

My DD has just gone in to Year 10 and had loads but her friend with different subjects had next to none and some had none. She is doing triple science and fast track maths, and both those set a lot of work. As did Spanish. My niece at that age was given an art project for GCSE Art. My DD did spent most the summer dancing in theatre productions and summer schools but still managed to do it though. I wouldn't worry about it either way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now