Trinity School, Croydon - opinions please

(9 Posts)
Maarias Thu 22-Sep-16 12:53:15

Hi all,
Just for background : my son sat the SET Grammars for Sutton but and passed for some but not others.
He is very bright, but also very musical and quite a sensitive, caring boy. We would really like him to be somewhere which allows him to grow into the areas he's good at and not be in a pressure cooker school.
We really liked Trinity and went to see it for an open day last autumn. It's not that close to us though. I'm just looking for opinions on those who have boys there. Or any other schools in Surrey, south west London that are worth considering. KCS is a not for me, and we've just missed Emmanuel. KGS also not right as it felt too cramped. But open to other suggestions.

Seeline Thu 22-Sep-16 14:11:19

There are threads each year covering Trinity and other schools - this is last years

My DS is at Trinity and we, and he, are very happy. If your DS is musical, the music department is excellent, providing huge opportunities for extra-curricular events.
The school encourages all boys to fulfil their potential, and expect them to work hard, but I wouldn't call it pressurised. The pastoral care is good, with form tutors and heads of year taking important roles.
Sport is equally important, and whilst all boys are encouraged to try new things, it is not forced onto boys beyond PE if they are not keen.
There are plenty of non-Alpha boys at the school. Sensitive, caring boys will be fine.
Obviously a new Headmaster has just started, but so far, he seems keen to carry on steering he school in the same direction in terms of ethos. The open day is on 1 October if you want another look round.

Maarias Thu 22-Sep-16 14:18:39

Thanks that's really helpful.

Yes, he's definitely not an alpha male...neither of mine are...not quite sure where I've gone wrong there! smile)

Good idea to go to another open day - I didn't realise the head had now changed - old head seemed fab!

The two boys we know who have moved there are both proper 'rugger' boys - the one sport my DS hates! Although he's really into footie, tennis and swimming so not completely averse to sport.

Thanks again for your help.

Seeline Thu 22-Sep-16 14:46:41

My Ds had never played rugby when he started and wasn't remotely sporty, but with gentle encouragement he ended up playing for the school (in lower sides) for 3 years!
Although rugby is probably the main sport, football is very popular, as are tennis and swimming, so no problems there.
As I said music plays a major role, so if that is what your DS likes there are loads of opportunities.
The old Head was brilliant - big shoes to fill.

schbittery Thu 22-Sep-16 21:33:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

schbittery Fri 23-Sep-16 08:13:33

withdrew my msg as was a bit revealing but it was all good about Trinity! Best school I saw across all sectors.

Noitsnotteatimeyet Fri 23-Sep-16 20:12:35

Well Whitgift would be the obvious one - bigger and ostensibly sportier than Trinity but they really are much more alike than people would have you believe

It's known for its sport but music and drama are also fantastic and ime pastoral care is excellent - ds spent eight mostly very happy years there...

jgjgjgjgjg Sun 25-Sep-16 14:54:33

Agreed, my totally non-sporty but musical child has just started at Whitgift. So far he's been invited to join the choir, first form orchestra and a string quartet. Not to mention also getting involved in science club, maths club and robotics club. The sheer size of the school means that the range of opportunities is mind-bogglingly huge even for the totally non sporty ones.

Depending on where you live you might find that the journey is easier too as it's walking distance to South Croydon station, whereas Trinity is a bus journey from East Croydon.

eeyoresgrumpierfriend Mon 26-Sep-16 09:52:54

Are you set on single sex? If not Alleyns might suit as it tends to attract more arty/musical types rather than the alpha males. Very good academically too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now