Teaching jobs NI

(5 Posts)
WouldLoveACupOfTea Wed 21-Sep-16 09:34:28

Hi all teaching mumsnetters who live and work in Northern Ireland. I've been living and working in the UK for 17 years as a teacher. I've been a deputy head for the last four years and an assistant head for 5 before that. My husband, two kids and I are thinking of relocating back to NI next year. He works in a fairly transferable industry but I've heard it might be difficult for me to "break into" the northern Irish education market especially at my level.

Do you think this is true and if so any advice or tips on what I could do to boost my chances. I'd like to start applying after Christmas with a view to start next September.... In anticipation :-)

HereIAm20 Wed 21-Sep-16 15:09:19

Hi - I can't help I'm afraid other than to say there is a sub section called Staffroom which is where I believe the teachers hang out on MN. It may be worth asking there.

Cakescakescakes Wed 21-Sep-16 15:12:58

I'm not a teacher but have several friends who are and permanent teaching jobs are really like hen's teeth in NI. A lot of my friends have spent time working in England or Scotland because they can't get jobs here.

gingercat02 Wed 21-Sep-16 15:16:13

Teaching like the NHS is very limited in NI, they like people who have worked and trained there and because of huge supply and few jobs, employers can pick and choose. I know several qualified teachers who work as TA's

WouldLoveACupOfTea Wed 21-Sep-16 18:18:58

Thanks folks. The one thing is I did train there but I haven't taught there my whole career (did I say I'm from NI)?

I might repost in staff room. Thank you HereIam

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now