School lost DD's exam paper

(9 Posts)
elfreda69 Sun 18-Sep-16 23:26:14

My DD sat her As levels in June and got BBU grades. When she was predicted ABC. When we investigated the U grade we discovered (after some digging) that it was due to the school not sending in the exam paper in one time. They have said that they will provide a predicted grade when she applies for university this academic year. However, my daughter has pointed out that now she will have a much heavier workload this year as she will now have to revise for the year 1 and year 2 units to replace the U grade. She really wanted to focus on improving one of her B grades and resit that in A2.

I am going to write an official letter of complaint, but wonder if I can demand financial compensation from the school. My DD is now 19 and if she has to retake any exams, we will now have to pay for her A levels.

Any advice?

noblegiraffe Mon 19-Sep-16 07:42:41

Was the U in an AS that actually counts towards A-level?

FuzzyWizard Mon 19-Sep-16 07:52:00

What subject is it? The majority of subjects are now linear which means she wouldn't need to resit. One of my students was very ill during an exam this year and got a U at AS. She doesn't need to resit anything and although she will need to revise all of the AS stuff so will everyone else. That being said I think it's awful that a paper could just not be sent off. I would want to know how and why the mistake happened and that procedures have been changed to make sure it wouldn't happen to anyone else. As a teacher I would be really angry if it happened to one of my students so I'm not surprised that as a parent you are raging.

ItsLikeRainOnYourWeddingDay Mon 19-Sep-16 07:52:28

What financial outlay have you had that makes you think you deserve compensation?

I would be pushing the school for extra tutoring 1 on 1 to ensure she has the best chance possible. It's unfortunate and I would be fuming too but it has happened and you need a plan to ensure she gets the help she needs

LadyPenelope68 Mon 19-Sep-16 07:55:57

You have not incurred any financial costs as a result so why do you feel you are entitled to financial compensation??? How bizarre!

catslife Mon 19-Sep-16 08:36:29

When we investigated the U grade we discovered (after some digging) that it was due to the school not sending in the exam paper in one time.
When a paper isn't received by the exam board and the student is down as Present on the attendance register, the exam board do contact the school to investigate further.
If the paper was sent late, it should still be marked but the the result will be delayed. The school need to follow this further e.g. find out if the paper was actually received and marked. if the paper is still officially "lost" then I think the exam board does have a system to deal with this situation to make sure the candidate is awarded a mark for the missing paper.
If you had paid for a remark or clerical check then the school should refund your money, but this is the only area that I can think of where you may need compensation.

catslife Mon 19-Sep-16 09:03:52

Assuming it's the old style AS/A2 system, your daughter doesn't have to resit both units, she can just resit the one where her paper was "lost".
If the school charges parents for retakes i..e makes them pay the exam entry fees, then I would agree that they should waive the charge under these circumstances.
If it's the new linear system then pupils are examined at the end of Y13 on material covered in Y12 and Y13 anyway.

JudyCoolibar Mon 19-Sep-16 10:41:24

You have not incurred any financial costs as a result so why do you feel you are entitled to financial compensation??? How bizarre!

OP has explained that she may have to pay for any retakes. Plus potentially if her daughter has to spend time redoing the subject in question in make affect her other grades, which could have all sorts of effects on her future. At the very least, she may have to take an extra year to catch up, which means going into employment a year late, so the potential loss could be one year's earnings.

titchy Mon 19-Sep-16 11:01:02

A years pay to compensate <snort>!

As others have said if this was a new style linear paper she'll have to revise everything anyway. If it was an old-style AS+A2 subject and the paper was lost, the exam board will be able to award a mark anyway. Or someone is pulling the wool over your eyes...

So no, she won't incur any losses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now