preparing for selective schools

(6 Posts)
B4r4joon Sun 18-Sep-16 18:57:16

have a daughter started Y5. thinking of preparing for 11+ and 1-2 indies that offer scholarship. How is best to tutor her, and where to find a good one?She is very bright and on the top set in her current class...but i understand that these tests need proper prep.

FanSpamTastic Sun 18-Sep-16 19:21:33

Try the 11+ forums - there may be a forum for the school's you are interested in.

You can help at home with introducing verbal and non-verbal reasoning. Try the Bond range available in bookstores. But really depends what the school tests. If you check their websites there should be some information about the selection process.

B4r4joon Sun 18-Sep-16 20:24:06

Thanks... 11+ forums here or generally in internet.
Schools I am interested are: City Girls, Chelmsford County, or maybe Bancrofts if they do scholarship...

SAHDthatsall Mon 19-Sep-16 09:49:05

Elevenplusforum.com is your best place to start.

Most scholarships are in the region of 0% to 25% with very few much more FYI.

loveyouradvice Tue 27-Sep-16 19:31:56

My DC at Latymer Upper which has bursaries up to 100% - several friends on these. You are looking for bursaries not scholarships... i.e. means tested as well as academic. (Though some offer 25% sport or music scholarships)

BizzyFizzy Tue 27-Sep-16 19:49:49

If she's very bright, she shouldn't need to be tutored!

Find out what the entrance procedure is. A lot of schools to verbal and non-verbal reasoning and maybe some English comprehension/composition and a Maths paper. A selective school will pitch the English and Maths papers to someone who is expected to reach Level 5 at the end of Year 6. For the reasoning, all she can do us a few practice Bond papers.

If the school takes almost all its students from independent prep schools via the ISEB 11+ ("Girls' Common Entrance"), she would have a harder time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now