Any Ealing people about?

(9 Posts)
whinetasting Sun 18-Sep-16 14:51:48

We live equidistant between Elthorne High School and Drayton Manor high school. Both schools seem good, but Elthorne seems to get better results (70- something percent A-C I think). However, everyone locally talks about Drayton as being the aspirational school that parents aim for, and it was significantly over subscribed last year, whereas Elthorne wasn't. Drayton ofsted is a 1, Elthorne a 2.
Could someone who understands this explain why (given the results) Drayton is seen as the place to go?
( I thought it might be a class thing, but looking at pupil compositions there's a lot more FSM children at Drayton). Any thoughts?

stoopstofolly Sun 18-Sep-16 19:07:25

I'm interested..... Anyone about?

reup Sun 18-Sep-16 19:11:57

Elthorne was oversubscribed last year - they ended up making it 7 form entry instead of 6. This year it's 8. Someone said the ebaac results were better at Drayton. I know a lot of people who actively chose Elthorne or Brentside over Drayton. I know lots of happy and unhappy parents at each school!

Go to the open evenings. Some people liked the head teachers at draytons talk but for others it put them off.

NeverEverAnythingEver Sun 18-Sep-16 20:56:54

We went to Drayton, Elthorne and Brentside open evenings last year and liked them all ... I would have thought there's not much in it. We are going with the easiest to get to. grin

superram Sun 18-Sep-16 21:05:34

They are both good schools. Elthorne did better this year (second only to twyford). However, there intake is more middle class. Drayton is quite sporty. I would (and will) send my kids to one of them.

Threeschools Sun 18-Sep-16 22:10:45

Drayton used to be a grammar school, has a blazer and is Ofsted outstanding with a stricter discipline I think, and certainly had better results historically, therefore was preferred by parents who value education, but I think this is quickly changing, and I keep reading/hearing good things about Elthorne.

reup Sun 18-Sep-16 22:16:42

I think the blazer is the most important for some. And now you have Ealing Fields if you want to spend even more on uniform!

fyfe65 Mon 19-Sep-16 15:45:27

For a long time Drayton was considered better however in the last few years Elthorne has gone from strength to strength while Drayton has had problems retaining staff and results have been suffering. I have worked in both and the atmosphere at Elthorne is much kinder and supportive amongst the pupils. However both are good schools so Ealing is lucky to have that choice.

whinetasting Mon 19-Sep-16 22:10:07

Thank you to everyone for responding . I do feel very grateful that we are in such a good position, and will be attending both open evenings this month.
DD is very sporty and reasonably academic. I'm looking for somewhere quite nurturing for her- she lacks confidence academically despite being reasonably able (level 5s in old money) and I'm keen for her to find more of a peer group than she's managed at primary school. She wants Drayton, but only because that's where her friends are all going but I want to be certain we find the right fit.
Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now