Applying to multiple single sex schools as an appeals strategy?

(2 Posts)

I live in a location such that I stand zero chance of getting allocated my nearest school, or any of the 4 schools that I put on our application, even if they are all schools for which we are in the priority area. We therefore know that we will have to do 4 appeals next spring.

On this basis, we are currently considering applying for our nearest school (mixed), the single sex school that we are in the priority area for, the single sex school that we would be in the priority area for if we lived 500 yards away, and a single sex school that we would be in the priority area for if we managed to move to the village where the dc go to primary school (we have been trying for months to move there but haven't managed to sell our house and may not make the deadline for moving now).

Does anyone know whether expressing such a strong preference for single sex schools in our applications could give us a stronger case for them at appeal?

DD is adamant that she wants a single sex school. I believe that this is at least partly driven by the fact that it would avoid her brothers, one of whom has some behavioural issues, from following in her footsteps.

prh47bridge Sun 18-Sep-16 00:25:42

It shouldn't really. If there is an appeal it should be about why this is the best school for your daughter. Her desire to be in a single sex school is not something that is likely to carry a huge amount of weight. Applying only (or mainly) to one type of school shows that is what you want but doesn't demonstrate that your daughter will be disadvantaged if she ends up at a mixed school. Having said that, I have come across some appeal panels that seem to think it weakens the parents' argument that they want a particular type of school if they have included other types of school amongst their preferences.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now