SWPS, St Georges Weybridge or Heathside - DD

(17 Posts)
Rawesome6 Fri 16-Sep-16 17:26:10

Hi there- looking for up to date views and experiences on the above schools for DD who is year 5 at a local state school. She's bright, good all rounder and likes sports. Thanks!

BizzyFizzy Fri 16-Sep-16 21:12:52

I have had children at SGC and SWPS (still have two daughters at SWPS). They are both great schools. I chose SWPS for my girls because I to be in a single sex school. The boys went to SGC basically because there wasn't a lot of choice for boys.

The facilities at both schools are great, although SGC has huge grounds.

I'm sure your DD will thrive at either school but SWPS is fab all round.

helenwilson Fri 16-Sep-16 21:20:42

Children at our primary go to both these schools, I've never heard a bad thing about SWPS, it has a very good reputation around here and a good friend of ours has two daughters there. I only know boys at SGC and they have only just started, but its reputation is a bit more mixed.

nocampinghere Sat 17-Sep-16 11:29:41

SWPS definitely
amazing school

BizzyFizzy Sat 17-Sep-16 14:51:47

SWPS is definitely a school that ticks all the boxes.

Wriggle45 Sat 17-Sep-16 22:59:01

SWPS is a lovely school..... my eldest dd v happy there

deepdarkwood Sun 18-Sep-16 14:12:44

I know children at all three schools - I've heard only positives from parents about Heathside and SWPS - obv facilities at SWPS are superior!

I've heard more mixed responses from parents about St Georges, and certainly know one parent with a child there who is considering moving over to Hearthside (boy so SWPS is not an option!) - but obv that may be just luck

SuburbanRhonda Sun 18-Sep-16 14:17:40

St George's is a Catholic College isn't it?

Depends if you're happy to pay the fees at SWPS. Heathside is a state school so your children will mix with others from a wider range of backgrounds. It has a tight catchment rule IIRC and anyone outside has to pass a "challenge" in either sport, music or maths. This was a few years ago though so that may have changed.

BizzyFizzy Sun 18-Sep-16 14:32:00

We aren't Roman Catholic, although are practising evangelical Anglican. The RC stuff is not oppressive. They have chapel but the non-Catholics are not excluded.

My boys were able to keep their school and our church life separate.

The number of RC students in school is about one third.

SuburbanRhonda Sun 18-Sep-16 15:02:05

That sounds healthier and not like Salesian, who take non-Catholics in the sixth firm but for whom attendance at school mass is compulsory.

deepdarkwood Sun 18-Sep-16 15:32:46

The challenges at Heathside were abolished I think a couple of years ago, Rhonda - I think from what I have heard this has meant that they are now much more solid in terms of being able to offer within the catchment area, but obv harder to get in from much further afield.

nocampinghere Sun 18-Sep-16 15:40:10

Salesians is a state school
St George's is fee paying

SuburbanRhonda Sun 18-Sep-16 15:46:44

Salesians is a state school
St George's is fee paying

How is that relevant?

nocampinghere Mon 19-Sep-16 09:27:11

it is relevant re the admissions criteria

if St G had the strict Catholic criteria that Salesians has i doubt it would fill its places at £18k a year.

BizzyFizzy Mon 19-Sep-16 18:57:57

SGC is open to those who are sympathetic to the Josephus ethos.

Only about a third of the students are RC.

TresDesolee Wed 21-Sep-16 14:08:46

My son has just started at Heathside and it seems brilliant to me so far. Really well-run, well-resourced school, great teaching, good focus on academic results. Obviously doesn't have the facilities of a fee paying school but I'm impressed.

lapsedorienteerer Wed 21-Sep-16 20:07:11

SGC happily takes those who are not RC, they also have a new Headmistress this term who has come from St George's Ascot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now