John roan school Greenwich anyone?

(8 Posts)
Biscuitmadness Thu 08-Sep-16 10:35:17

Secondary school is a fair way off for my kids but I am considering them now in terms of staying in Greenwich long term.

I am quite worried about all the comments out there in social media about John roan via John roan resists and it appears there has been massive issues at the school ?

I also can not seem to make sense of their school results and it seems to me that the best performers tend to often be in softer subjects?

Can anyone with real experience enlighten me?

Is it a good school? Do you think they are getting over their issues?

Thank you

Longlost10 Thu 08-Sep-16 21:19:36

It is like many other similar big comprehensives in South East London. Some decent kids, some hooligans and thugs. Staff killing themselves to provide and education for hooligans who can't be arsed, and don't give a stuff. MILLIONS of pounds poured into pandering to such spoilt brats, who suck the country dry and feel entitled to demand more constantly, and presumably intend to live out their adults lives in total selfishness and fecklessness. ( and the decent kids are there too!) Government and Ofsted make insane, contradictory, unrealistic and irrational demands, management blame staff for the fact that so many of the children are yobs, staff work themselves to destruction. Some decent kids get a decent education.

No different to any other similar school. I wouldn't hang around Greenwich for the sake of any Greenwich school

Biscuitmadness Thu 08-Sep-16 21:22:56

Thanks for your frank response Longlost there is so much I love about Greenwich and London but I am concerned about secondary

KittyVonCatsington Thu 08-Sep-16 21:26:52

There's a new Head there as the previous Head was caught fiddling the finances, so not sure in which direction it will go in just yet!

MaureenMLove Thu 08-Sep-16 21:39:57

I think if your children are a fair way off being at secondary, it's not worth worrying about now. A lot can change in a school in just a few years

My DD went into secondary when her school had had Outstanding from Ofsted for about a year. At the same time I joined a school in special measures. Only 5 years later, my school was Good and her school was in notice to improve.

Biscuitmadness Thu 08-Sep-16 22:32:48

Thanks Maureen and Kitty 😀 yes it could all change - from what I can tell and I suppose it is all conjecture the last head was unpopular but seemed to be hounded by people too, what error is me was the sheer conflict about the school so I just could t see how students were being put first

There has been some reporting about a deficit but I didn't think there was any finance issues ..

KittyVonCatsington Sat 10-Sep-16 19:19:20

Yes there were. Won't say anymore in case I am in breach of Talk Guidelines though. Onwards and upwards eh?!

Reflective Mon 12-Sep-16 15:22:41

So if not John Roan at least for next year's entry (I agree it will all probably change in a couple of years), where to choose?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now