What are 'Ethics & Rhetoric' lessons please?

(9 Posts)
MarmiteMakesMeHappy Wed 07-Sep-16 14:14:58

DD just started secondary. One period a week on her timetable is dedicated to "Ethics and Rhetoric". I have googled and I still don't really understand what this will be?

Can someone explain so I don't look like a numpty

Thanks

TheOddity Wed 07-Sep-16 14:17:27

Ethics are questions like 'how to be good', 'what is happiness' etc... Philosophy questions.

Rhetoric is either learning how to do public speaking or the study of speeches like Cicero etc?

MarmiteMakesMeHappy Wed 07-Sep-16 14:19:50

That's what I assumed Oddity - I mean I based my guess on the literal sense of the two separate words, but I just can't connect them to form 'one subject' if that makes sense.

tiggytape Wed 07-Sep-16 14:23:19

GCSE RS is the closest I think.
It is comprised of Applied Ethics and Philosophy - it sounds like something along those lines.

People think of R.S as bible study but actually the GCSE is more about the nature of good and evil, beliefs about life after death, medical ethics and abortion, charity and wealth, equality, relationships etc.

REteacher101 Wed 07-Sep-16 19:29:35

As my name suggests, this is my kind of area but I have never heard this particular name used before!
Is there not a prospectus that describes the subjects? Failing that, the teacher might describe it in the first lesson or so, if your dd will pass it on!

PartiallyStars Wed 07-Sep-16 19:31:18

It sounds like something they would have studied in Ancient Greece! Cool though.

Anasnake Thu 08-Sep-16 17:36:03

It's RE, I've known it to be renamed in several schools as 'aspire', 'rave' (not entirely sure what that stands for), just 'ethics' and 'EPR' (ethics, philosophy and religion'. It's because a lot of it is ethics, philosophy, current affairs etc as well as religion.

MarmiteMakesMeHappy Fri 09-Sep-16 09:25:39

In case anyone cares, first piece of work seems to be about making good life choices. So, she was given four situations that would have been slightly uncomfortable - Your mum gives you a piece of clothing she has knitted for you, you know they spent a lot of time on it, but you really dislike it. You don't want to hurt her feelings, but you really dislike it, what do you do?

And you are leading an important school debate. You come across your rivals notes that they have accidentally left at lunch. Reading them will give you and your whole team an advantage, what do you do?

So u guess that's the ethics bit - or at least the beginning of it.

And FWIW DD wrote a lovely and thoughtful answer to Q1, when in reality she would take one look at the jumper and stick her fingers down her throat grin

ReteAcher101 Fri 09-Sep-16 10:16:38

grin
I may steal that lesson

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now