Coffee Machine for the Students?

(13 Posts)
Verbena37 Wed 07-Sep-16 08:37:28

How common are coffee machines for the students?
Kids just gone back on Monday and a new coffee machine has been installed for them at breaks and lunches.

We're not talking manky coffee machine.....dd (yr 10) had a lovely latte.
We do let her drink the odd coffee now and again as she really likes it but I don't think it's a great idea for the just turned year7's and 8's surely?

Anybody else's school got one? Is it now the norm?

sashh Wed 07-Sep-16 13:50:04

Not the norm but I have seen coffee in schools. Way back in the day we were actually given coffee in primary school

troutsprout Wed 07-Sep-16 14:10:31

Unusual I reckon

Verbena37 Wed 07-Sep-16 14:30:23

That's what I thought......the catering company has just changed so I'm wondering if it's them who has installed it. If so, it's not really in line with their healthy eating ethos. I don't think we need to be encouraging children to drink coffee.

In a 20 minute break or hour lunch break, that's a lot of coffee a child could drink. The caffeine aspect worries me more than the sugar and fat.

TwentyCups Wed 07-Sep-16 14:33:42

We had a coffee machine at school. It was horrible stuff, also did hot chocolate, tea and tomato soup. It was all a bit manky but presumably caffeinated! We also had red bull in the vending machines though and I don't think you would get that now!
It does seem strange that they have one now, with all the healthy eating ethos.

Verbena37 Wed 07-Sep-16 15:32:15

I think it would have been better off in the sixth form department only.
Red bull?
Blimey!

OldBeanbagz Wed 07-Sep-16 15:37:29

At my DC's school the coffee machine is available to sixth form (& teachers) only. It was installed about a year ago so maybe it's a new thing in high schools?

Leeds2 Wed 07-Sep-16 16:04:04

My DD left school this summer, but her school had a coffee/tea room just for use by sixth formers.

Back in the 70's, I remember milky coffee with two sugars (sugar was already added, not an optional extra) being served as an occasional pudding at senior school. You could also buy a coffee without sugar or milk in the fifth and sixth form common rooms.

LadyPenelope68 Wed 07-Sep-16 16:05:33

Coffee machines at most of the high schools round here.

BossWitch Wed 07-Sep-16 16:10:52

It might be a good idea, weirdly, to get them to drink less caffeine. So, so many kids come to school with energy drinks, even 7s and 8s. Maybe the feeling of being grown up and grabbing a coffee would replace the energy drink and the net result would be less caffeine and less sugar? Especially as most younger ones will avoid anything stronger than a latte anyway.

FrancisCrawford Wed 07-Sep-16 16:11:12

Back in the 70s my history teacher instigated a coffee break when we had a double period. I was 15/16. It was a small class (8 of us) but everyone was drinking coffee by then. It was just normal, a part if growing up.

I think tea has caffeine too (cannot stand the stuff so may be totally wrong) and children used to be given it from a much younger age

Verbena37 Wed 07-Sep-16 16:21:01

Boss witch you might be right.
Yes, Francis.....tea has caffeine but a lot less than coffee.
I won't worry too much then.smile

Laniakea Wed 07-Sep-16 16:52:58

exactly what BossWitch said - many of the children seem to drink gallons of coke & RedBull, coffee is far preferable!

DD's school has one for KS4 &5 ... I don't mind, nothing wrong with a latte in the morning smile Fortunately dd doesn't add sugar to her coffee.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now