Nottingham Free School

(14 Posts)
Nonicknamesleft Tue 06-Sep-16 09:33:45

Hi. Moving across the city soon, and my eldest is just starting Y6 so secondary school beckons. Where we live currently, the secondary provision is very strong indeed and there aren't really any duff schools.

A major decision is needed about KS3/4 education for our children and obviously City schools have a more mixed reputation.

Does anyone out there have any insights about the Free School? I know it's part of the Toothill group - don't know what sort of difference that makes.

Btw, we're moving because we have to; staying local isn't an option and neither is anything fee paying.

Thank you in advance.

Didiusfalco Tue 06-Sep-16 09:38:11

Op, no help to you im afraid, but do you mind me asking where you are in Nottingham at the moment that the secondary provision is very strong? Possibly relocating to around that area next year.

atticusclaw2 Tue 06-Sep-16 09:39:23

West Bridgford presumably?

Nonicknamesleft Tue 06-Sep-16 23:18:48

Yes indeed, West Bridgford. The two main secs here are brilliant, but if you're moving here do be clear about pressure on school places. You should have no difficulties getting a place at your catchment scool, but as far as i know you have pretty much no chance of getting the other. There are possibilities in the surrounding area beyond WB: South Wolds, Toothill, Dayncourt, as well as the two faith schools here ie Emmanuel and Beckett. Good luck.

atticusclaw2 Wed 07-Sep-16 11:48:52

Can you not wait until your eldest is in year 7 and then move but take him/her to WB each day? That would be my choice if you're only moving to MPark or S/wood but you can't use one of the independent schools. It isn't a long commute.

bensonandhedges Wed 07-Sep-16 21:12:32

No, we're too far down the line to do that, and wouldn't want to anyway for other reasons.

The plan is to commute in any case, in order to keep this child and sibs in their great primary. However, the others won't get into a WB secondary if we're out of the area, so thinking about a viable solution for everyone seems a better long-term plan.

bensonandhedges Wed 07-Sep-16 21:15:09

Oops sorry, am actually the OP, doing the previous msg on a friend's computer so used her ID by mistake.

atticusclaw2 Wed 07-Sep-16 23:33:32

I'd want to be very certain of getting into a decent school if I was moving them. Schools in the rest of the city are so dire that I'd be wanting to hang onto the WB place. You wouldn't want to move and then find you don't get into the school you have your eye on.

All of the city schools will be academies within the next couple of years and so things will change anyway.

Didiusfalco Thu 08-Sep-16 08:02:13

Are Nottingham schools that bad then Atticus? I had heard that but wondered if it was unfair.

Nonicknamesleft Thu 08-Sep-16 09:20:13

Yes, it is a worry, but we'll just have to hope for the best. To guarantee a WB school place for all the children would mean staying here for several years and we can't.

atticusclaw2 Thu 08-Sep-16 13:32:15

Lots of decent primaries but secondaries are mixed.

Nonicknamesleft Thu 08-Sep-16 16:04:30

I don't understand that phenomenon, yet it's so common - either primary or secondary in an area is great, but the other is crap. What happens? It's the same children in both, surely?

That's one of the things that makes west b unusual and so attractive to parents: the schools are strong across the whole age range.

atticusclaw2 Thu 08-Sep-16 16:20:53

I think what happens is that everyone moves to WB for secondary!

atticusclaw2 Thu 08-Sep-16 16:22:46

what about Bluecoat?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now