Would you stay put or change schools?

(9 Posts)
SsshhhDontTellAnyoneItsMe Thu 01-Sep-16 19:30:37

Ive name changed for this.

My DD has come home with a letter stating that from September only 7 GCSE's will be able to be studied/taken but they can also take a variety of Btecs in addition to this so wont lose out on any qualifications hmm . Apparently the GCSE pass rate has been steadily falling for a good few years and this is a bid to improve that.

My DD wants to go to university (Warwick/Bath and other RG Universities on the whole). Her chosen course currently asks for 8 GCSE's grade A or B.

My question is given the school wont offer 8 GCSE's any longer would I be better off moving her to another school that still offers the 8-10 GCSE's that the school have offered up until now.

She is in year 9 so would have time to settle before actually taking GCSE's. Or would Btecs (I believe Distinction x3 is an equivalent of an A at GCSE) be sufficient to fill the gap where she would be 'missing' a GCSE for university entry purposes.

There is a suggestion that the A Levels will also decrease to just 2 subjects and again Btec's being offered in replacement of them.

WWYD?

mathsmum314 Thu 01-Sep-16 19:34:01

If it was me I would be running for the hills. Change school!

OldBeanbagz Thu 01-Sep-16 19:40:40

I'd be changing school if she's set on a courset that requires 8 GCSEs. Falling pass rates is a bad sign.

titchy Thu 01-Sep-16 19:49:17

Move. Fast.

SsshhhDontTellAnyoneItsMe Thu 01-Sep-16 19:51:19

I thought so. I just wanted someone else to tell me it was ok to move schools.
Thanks.

OldBeanbagz Thu 01-Sep-16 19:51:49

*course not courset obviously!

Balletgirlmum Thu 01-Sep-16 19:53:52

I would change schools. Btecs are fine for some & indeed suit some better but they are not for those going the academic route.

I've not sent Ds to a certain local school purely because he wants to do music & they only offer Btec not GCSE.

Dd attends a vocational school & even they offer 9 GCSEs. (English counts twice & science is either double or triple)

Balletgirlmum Thu 01-Sep-16 19:54:48

The school Ds goes to & where dd may go for 6th form require 8 GCSEs to enter their 6th form. They don't accept btecs.

VikingLady Thu 01-Sep-16 19:55:51

Change. The school has serious problems with passing GCSEs and instead of working on that, they are avoiding the issue entirely.

They are also showing the lack of attention they'll be paying to the more academically able kids. Move.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now