gcse results general question

(5 Posts)
seekingwisdom4me Thu 25-Aug-16 09:36:06

Hello, my ds got his gcse results and he is generally happy. Personally I am very relieved. smile He will get in to do his a levels easily enough. Two subjects he got d's in Chemistry & french. Can you tell me can they repeat units to try and up their grade without doing all the units? He needs a language to get into uni if he ever wanted to go doesn't he? Not that I am particularly for that, I just want his options open as much as possible.

noblegiraffe Thu 25-Aug-16 09:44:04

Schools don't usually allow students to resit GCSEs in sixth form, and as exams are now linear, I think you would need to resit the whole thing.

He will definitely not need a language to get into university. I think there's one uni that likes students to have a language but if you haven't got one you can do a language course alongside your degree.

seekingwisdom4me Thu 25-Aug-16 10:00:57

thanks smile

BackforGood Thu 25-Aug-16 23:37:24

Agreed. Much more difficult to retake exams and I didn't think it possible to retake 'bits' of exams.
He doesn't need an MFL to go to University unless that's what he wants to study.

DoctorDonnaNoble Fri 26-Aug-16 05:48:12

It is UCL that likes them to have a language but I think there are ways around that for the right candidates (it's a highly competitive university to get into).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now