Rainproof backpack for school?

(19 Posts)
WeAllHaveWings Fri 19-Aug-16 16:39:55

Ds(12) has just come home with his books soaked through. Can anyone recommend a waterproof/resistant backpack for school?

InTheDessert Fri 19-Aug-16 16:45:11

They generally aren't, unless you go for a hosting one, which I imagine won't be approved by a 12 yr old.

InTheDessert Fri 19-Aug-16 16:45:27

Boating not hosting blush

WeAllHaveWings Fri 19-Aug-16 17:04:05

You are right, he will be hoping for northface, super dry (are they waterproof or is it just the brand name? It doesn't say on the website), a sports brand or something similar.

Notso Fri 19-Aug-16 17:17:17

My kids have not had issues with this DD had Vans and Converse backpacks all through school. DS1 has an Adidas one, he started year 7 last year two of his friends had three or four to his one over the year.

Mine don't have a long walk home though, only 10-15 mins depending on route.

littlemissneela Fri 19-Aug-16 17:26:25

I bought a couple of covers to go over my kids backpacks which are totally waterproof. I bought them from Sports Direct and I think they are by Regatta. They fold down very small so they can keep them in the bag the whole time.

WeAllHaveWings Fri 19-Aug-16 17:27:44

His current backpack is adidas. Looks nice but soaked through with 20 mins in rain.

WeAllHaveWings Fri 19-Aug-16 17:29:20

Looked at covers, but I can guarantee he wouldn't use them, would prefer a bag that kept his things dry.

TheSecondOfHerName Fri 19-Aug-16 18:47:59

I have four children at secondary school and three of them have a 40 minute walk each way. We live in the UK, so rain is involved.

The Jansport backpack is waterproof.

The North Face recon is fairly waterproof.

The least waterproof was a Hype backpack, probably because the lining started flaking off after about three months.

We have found that periodically spraying the outside with a waterproofing spray seems to help a lot.

WeAllHaveWings Fri 19-Aug-16 20:37:28

TheSecond I was looking at the North Face ones, but they don't say anything about whether they are shower/rain proof/resistant.

The recon is £80 and says - Fabric:210D nylon Cordura® ripstop, 600D polyester print, 300D cotton/polyester heather, 420D nylon, 1680D ballistics nylon

The surge is £110 and says - Fabric:500D Cordura® nylon matter ripstop, 600D polyester heather ripstop, 420D nylon

So doesn't really help. I've sent them a question asking what is more water resistant. Never thought to use waterproofing spray; got some at home - will use that and a bag inside for now until I find a better bag.

Saffronesque Fri 19-Aug-16 22:58:26

DS has used a north face jester for 7 terms now, often latterly in torrential downpours. Bag is definitely showerproof & books have not suffered at all. Worst insult to bag was a festering lunch that grew mould over first 2 weeks of holidays; ran it through washing machine & airdried it; looks like new.
Waterproofing tip is great!

TheSecondOfHerName Fri 19-Aug-16 23:32:10

Worst insult to bag was a festering lunch that grew mould over first 2 weeks of holidays

That brings back memories of The Forgotten Banana (DD, Year 4).

tapdancingmum Fri 19-Aug-16 23:38:29

My DD has had a hype one for the last three years. She has just ordered a new one as this one has worn out. Her stuff has never got wet from anything from the outside (the inside is a different story wink).

You could always put a carrier bag on the inside if they insist on "fashion" backpacks.

PickAChew Fri 19-Aug-16 23:39:50

Berghaus 24seven daysacs are pretty water resistant.

PickAChew Fri 19-Aug-16 23:42:05

And of course, there is the option of putting books in a carrier bag inside the bag if nothing suitable has the appropriate aesthetic appeal.

WeAllHaveWings Sat 20-Aug-16 20:51:25

We've had the 2 week old banana mush incident too. Not pleasant.

Got to love the Scottish summer, this should be a winter problem! Adidas bag has been washed with Nikwax wash is now dry, it has also been sprayed with water proofing; books are now inside a bright yellow JD sports drawstring bag inside it. This will do until I get a new bag ordered.

I suggested Berghaus and other outdoor makes, but they are not cool enough at his school, this is the first year brands have ever mattered to him. I'm restricted to North Face or Superdry I think with a preference for North Face.

I've sent North Face customer services a enquiry asking which bag is the most water resistant before I spend £60+ on a school bag!! It better last him until at least 3rd year!

Saffronesque Sat 20-Aug-16 22:29:12

FWIW I just bought a north face for my daughter £42 & free delivery from mastershoe -yshoe

TheSecondOfHerName Sat 20-Aug-16 23:00:48

We've had the 2 week old banana mush incident too. Not pleasant.

Our forgotten banana was black, shrunken and sort of mummified, with a white fuzzy patch.

WeAllHaveWings Sun 21-Aug-16 13:58:05

North Face bag ordered, £43 from Amazon, thanks for the recommendations smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now