IGCSE English Language

(10 Posts)
Lolly49 Thu 11-Aug-16 17:36:20

My son got his results for this exam today an A .Anybody else got the results so eArly.

derektheladyhamster Thu 11-Aug-16 22:23:19

Yes, just found out the Cambridge exam results are out. A* in language, B in literature and A* in history😃😃😃😃😃

Decorhate Fri 12-Aug-16 07:01:31

The schools got the results yesterday but many schools will wait & give them out with the "normal" GCSEs in two weeks time

portico Fri 12-Aug-16 11:19:53

The above are fantastic grades. Congratulations to your children.

On a separate note, will your schools still be sitting the IGCSEs when the new GCSEs start.

LockedOutOfMN Sat 13-Aug-16 13:24:51

International schools and their students all received the results on Thursday.

DoctorDonnaNoble Sat 13-Aug-16 13:28:33

Won't find out until normal GCSE results day.

ShanghaiDiva Tue 16-Aug-16 06:21:12

Cambridge iGCSE out last Thursday, but Edexcel iGCSEs out on 25th.
DS got all A*s last week and we are now waiting for AS maths which is out on the 18th.
Congratulations Lolly and Derek to your dcs!

Draylon Tue 16-Aug-16 22:31:38

Well done - but still a bit -'perturbed'. My DS's school experimented (externally funded) with iGCSes and GCSEs a couple of years ago in English and Maths, the year that it was decided iGCSEs results could go towards published League Tables.

So, many, but not all ( a mix of ability) DCs took both, the GCSEs as 'official, the 'i' as an experiment.

I was actually quite shocked when the results revealed that practically all 'B' level Maths students got an A in iGCGE but B in GCSE! DS didn't do the English paper.

I do get it. DS struggles with 'Tariq's pencil cost 55p; Amil bought 5 for $4. What colour is Sven's ruler?'... as opposed to 'Here's an equation: Solve it.' Which he nails.

I still rail about the 'fact' that iGCSEs measure different skills than GCSEs.

Draylon Tue 16-Aug-16 22:44:00

Sorry, I've re-read my post and it comes across as bitter and twisted! I shall bow out early!

ShanghaiDiva Wed 17-Aug-16 01:46:11

Your question seems fair to me!
My ds is at an international school so iGCSES are the only option. The main difference is the subjects are all exam based - (English language the only one I have seen with coursework), no controlled assessments either.
There is also a difference, imo, between the exam boards - Cambridge and Edexcel. Cambridge is perceived as more traditional and ds's school has changed the examination board for some subjects.
Am not sure if iGCSE measures different skills . My ds took Cambridge iGCSEs and due to time differences there are three papers produced for every exam - he took the paper for the region which covers China and Far East. When he was revising ds answered papers from all three regions and he felt there were differences in regional papers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now