Secondary School uniform best buys

(4 Posts)
WeAllHaveWings Tue 19-Jul-16 17:27:24

ds(12) is going into S1 in August (Scotland), I need to buy shirts for the first time instead of polo shirts.

Always got his polo's from Next so ordered shirts and they are pretty much see through so will be returned.. Have now ordered from M&S and awaiting delivery. Any recommendations for best white school shirts? (easy iron preferred!).

Also, for the first time he cares about the style of the trousers he's wearing. We are looking for slim/skinny trousers? He's tall for 12 and slim, but is quite hippy and prefers trousers to sit on the hips. We've tried most of the Next school trouser styles and they are too baggy on the legs yet tight sitting on the hips. Again have ordered M&S and waiting for delivery.

Don't get me started on the negotiations for shoes, school is quite relaxed on uniform so allow most footwear.......he wants some strange looking Nike Air trainer called Huarache that ALL his friends are allegedly getting for school (£90 for size 8!!!), but that not happening! They don't even look waterproof......this is going to be hard work!

LockedOutOfMN Tue 19-Jul-16 18:45:58

I seem to remember reading on another thread that M&S sells slim fit school trousers for boys.

Is there a Nike / sports' outlet store near you where you could get some cheaper Huaraches? Also check the sales as all but the very latest design will be discounted. Long shot but if you're going on a plane this summer there might be a "duty free" shop that has them at the airport (I say this because there's a JD Sports at Gatwick South Terminal that sells trainers plus clothes with good discounts and I was there this time last week and there were definitely Huaraches for men and women on the shelves - sorry, I didn't look at the price).

LockedOutOfMN Tue 19-Jul-16 18:52:56

Sorry I assumed that the trainers were for P.E. but now realised they're for school shoes. I'd make triple certain that the school will allow them before shelling out 90 quid.

Alternatively, use them as a bribe for your son to do chores, homework, reading, etc. during the holiday and be prepared that they might become weekend shoes if the school changes its rules (if they think or know they're going to be inspected, that tends to prompt general smartening up).

LockedOutOfMN Tue 19-Jul-16 18:55:29

p.s. My son's only just turned 8, but his best - as in look and feel the nicest after hard wearing and washing all year - school shirts are the ones I got from Asda last summer when back in the U.K. Recommended by a colleague with sons.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now