UKMT Junior Olympiad results

(7 Posts)
kitnkaboodle Mon 11-Jul-16 11:13:31

My son got his results from this and got what I think is a great result (?) - a bronze medal and a distinction.

Can anyone help me unravel the scoring system for this? I've looked at their website and it says there are 2 different types of scoring bands - one is for the medals, and the other is for the merits/distinctions/prizes (? different from medals?) I can't really get my head around it. Is it all to do with Section B of the paper and how much they did or didn't attempt this ..?
Any info in plain English gratefully received!

AtiaoftheJulii Mon 11-Jul-16 13:39:32

Distinction is given to the top 25% based on total marks, so about 300 people.

To get a medal you need to have done a decent answer to at least one section B question (i.e. not just got all your marks in section A), and a bronze medal puts you in position 91-210 of those people.

So basically, medals are better than distinction (imo) and your son has done really well smile Is he in y7 or y8?

kitnkaboodle Mon 11-Jul-16 14:15:59

Thank you - but I still don't quite get it! What percentage of students who do the Olympiad paper get a medal?

He's Y7. No history of maths ability in the family, no tutoring. He isn't even particularly fond of Maths. Just seems to 'get it' without a great deal of effort! His new school have never had anyone achieve this success before and we are all a bit shock

AtiaoftheJulii Mon 11-Jul-16 19:03:21

What percentage of students who do the Olympiad paper get a medal?

Well, 210*100/1200 = 17.5%

Chasingsquirrels Mon 11-Jul-16 19:06:21

Oh I didn't know the results were out this week, DS is away all week on activities week. I want to know!!

kitnkaboodle Mon 11-Jul-16 22:40:47

Thanks, Atia. You can tell he doesnt get his ability from me!

kitnkaboodle Mon 11-Jul-16 22:43:03

Chasingsquirrels - let us know his results!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now