Shorts

(12 Posts)
Indecisiveismymiddlename Sun 19-Jun-16 21:24:04

Why are shorts in secondary schools a no no for boys?

noblegiraffe Sun 19-Jun-16 21:29:06

Because the female teachers might see the boys' legs and be distracted.

Fuck knows, really. My classroom is hotter than the sun and the school still insists on the kids going around in blazers. Lack of a proper summer uniform really pisses me off.

Indecisiveismymiddlename Sun 19-Jun-16 21:32:10

It's ridiculous - didn't know about the blazer rule, that's even worse than lack of shorts!!

TheSecondOfHerName Sun 19-Jun-16 21:33:53

My 11 year old asked me this. He wore shorts last summer in Y6, but now that he's in Y7 they are no longer part of the uniform. I told him that many secondary schools (including his) encourage a dress code similar to what would be expected in an office or a business environment.

lifeisaconundrumattimes Sun 19-Jun-16 21:34:29

It's always been that way. Long trousers at 11/13.

Shorts are traditionally for little boys. I expect it is a tradition that has stuck and one that most teenage boys are happy to stick with!

However I agree that it is somewhat silly.

TheSecondOfHerName Sun 19-Jun-16 21:35:07

His reply was that most offices and businesses have air conditioning.

MachiKoro Sun 19-Jun-16 21:37:45

Traditionally boys went into long trousers when they left prep school.

TheEmojiFormerlyKnownAsPrince Sun 19-Jun-16 21:38:55

Our uniform allows for tailored black shorts for boys. Lots wear them too

CodyKing Sun 19-Jun-16 21:39:21

DD loves her school shorts - but can't wear them next year - covers her more than the belts skirts her sister and friends favour!

I don't mind uniform - but we could come up with more practical stuff

AuditAngel Sun 19-Jun-16 22:00:42

DS can also no longer wear shorts, I miss them.

However, I fail to see why my 9yo DD1 should wear shorts under her summer dress, her knickers cover what they need to, even if she is upside down. She however cannot wear shorts and a polo top as that is the boys summer uniform.

dottycat123 Sun 19-Jun-16 23:37:59

When my ds 1 did his gcses 4 years ago it was hot, he complained he was too hot to concentrate. The uniform policy allowed tailored black shorts, I altered a pair of school trousers. At first he was the only one in the school wearing shorts but this soon changed and others wore them.

CodyKing Sun 19-Jun-16 23:43:53

DD school doesn't state shorts in the girls uniform - I just sent her in - others followed - nothing has ever been said!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now