English Literature A Level for an adult

(5 Posts)
CruCru Thu 16-Jun-16 21:19:03

I'm considering doing an A Level in English Literature as a mature student. I have A Levels (Biology, Chemistry, Maths), a degree and am professionally qualified. However, I am also 38 and a SAHM for the time being and can feel my brain starting to turn to mush.

Has anyone done this? I live in central London so could go to lessons. Or I suppose there could be some form of distance learning?

bojorojo Thu 16-Jun-16 22:46:30

I have not actually studied when my children were young but have volunteered as a school governor. It is valuable to do something that stretches your brain and enables you to meet other people. I would advocate a college course and not distance learning. I sometimes do distance learning as a governor but you cannot discuss your learning with anyone. Talking to others about literature is more fun in my view. You will enjoy the texts and it sounds like a good plan.

annandale Thu 16-Jun-16 22:48:53

I think for English Literature I would go for an evening class. If it's 'just' to get a qualification then a-levels via distance learning work fine, I did one via the National Extension College.

annandale Thu 16-Jun-16 22:49:42

Also have a look around at the MOOCs for literature, there are quite a few I think.

MissTeriName Thu 16-Jun-16 22:55:20

I did it. Several many years ago now. Obviously loads of reading and, in those days, loads of writing. My hand still suffers from writer's cramp! I used www.icslearn.co.uk/courses/a-levels/a-level-english-literature/ and took my exams somewhere down High Street Kensington.

It was excellent, and I was extremely lucky with my books. Go for it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now