GCSE Timetable is it set in stone

(15 Posts)
Eastyone Wed 15-Jun-16 15:17:15

My daughter left for school today to take (we thought according to school timetable) her GCSE in Physics this afternoon. She does get extra time so maybe there is some flexibility? She's on her way home now and said she took the exam this morning - it was AQA B

BossWitch Wed 15-Jun-16 15:19:37

I'm confused- did she miss the exam? Did you misread the timetable?

Heratnumber7 Wed 15-Jun-16 15:22:12

Not sure I understand your question? Are you sure DD didn't just get the time wrong?

My DD had a GCSE clash, so she took one exam after everyone else. Had to be kept in isolation over lunch.

Her friend was late for one exam (not her fault). Because the exam had started on time, so therefore friend hadn't had the opportunity to talk to anyone doing the exam, she was allowed to start half an hour late, in a different room.

Do either of those situations answer your question?

OurBlanche Wed 15-Jun-16 15:22:43

Yes, set in stone so that ALL candidates, wherever, take it at the same time... prevents cheating.

So if she took it this morning then either the timetable you had was wrong, or you misread it. Can you check again, see if/where the error was?

Is she OK? I know how upsetting things like that can be.

OurBlanche Wed 15-Jun-16 15:24:30

Yes to ^^

There is a golden period of time, usually an hour, to account for mishaps. And all schools have isolation plans (however sketchy) for clashes and any of those mishaps.

Eastyone Wed 15-Jun-16 15:26:09

No we have a timetable and it's on the OCR website as PM? I'll ask more questions when she gets home. It's possible she did the wrong exam but as she's in a small group of about 25 that get 25% extra it may be that they kept her is isolation over lunch but they should have told her anyway

OurBlanche Wed 15-Jun-16 15:34:10

Oh! You said AQA in your OP and OCR in that last one!!!

And OCR B MOdule 1 this week is AM

Module 2 is next Wednesday PM

mumsneedwine Wed 15-Jun-16 15:36:10

If it was AQA you need to look on their website not OCR. Different exams. They are set in stone, but students can start an hour late or if shorter then before anyone has finished. They will still get the same time to do exam.
If there's a clash then students do one exam and are kept in isolation until they sit the retimetabled one. Schools run exams like a military operation so very unlikely she's sat the wrong one - there are name cards on desks and seating plans.

Eastyone Wed 15-Jun-16 15:37:24

Resolved now she's home I think 10 til 1 in a text was actually supposed to be ' it started at 12.50' so all is good Thanks for your help

PurpleDaisies Wed 15-Jun-16 15:40:01

I'm a science teacher - the AQA physics GCSE exam is on Friday. I'm confused which paper your daughter sat today...

OurBlanche Wed 15-Jun-16 15:41:14

Odd.... I have now looked that up in 2 official timetables....

OCR website... PM today, AM next week...

Some schools own timetable, the other way round...

But I see you have it resolved smile

Eastyone Wed 15-Jun-16 15:55:37

It is / was OCR (sorry for confusion) B

girlandboy Wed 15-Jun-16 16:13:24

My DS did his AQA GSCE exam this afternoon but that was Chemistry. There were no other AQA exams this morning on our schools timetable? His Physics is on Friday morning. His Biology was last week

catslife Wed 15-Jun-16 19:50:53

What is "set in stone" is the day of the exam and the "official" start time (as printed on the front of the paper). There is a bit of flexibility with the
actual time a school can start the exam, but if it is different to the official time by more than one hour, the school needs to inform the exam board and pupils have to be kept in isolation.
For pupils with extra time, they could start the exam earlier so they finish at the same time as other pupils or they could all start at the same time and pupils with extra time finish later than the others.
Hope that helps

mumsneedwine Wed 15-Jun-16 19:59:09

It will all be over very soon smile. I'm a mum of a year 11 as well as being a teacher so no stress here at all. I so hope all our kids have done themselves proud and whatever they get on results day, they know they tried their best.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now