State Boarding Schools

(2 Posts)
Dancingdreamer Tue 14-Jun-16 21:24:55

Tell me which are the best state boarding schools for boys please. By best I mean great pastoral care; high added value scores and low levels of bullying.

lifeisunjust Thu 16-Jun-16 10:11:55

Try not to get hung up about bullying, it's human nature and a school with less bullying does not exist or is lying if it says bullying is not in their school.

If you want good pastoral care, I came to the conclusion after visiting several state boarding schools that the ones with the higher proportion of boarders V day student and the ones with the higher proportion of full boarders V week boarders were the schools were I preferred the pastoral care on offer. I disregarded all schools which were too far to travel to. I disregarded all schools where boarders made up less than 1/3 of total students. That left me with about 5 schools to choose from. Then I chose the one which "felt right". I think myself very lucky. My son has had the best 2 years of his life and the pastoral care is just without criticism from me, I could not ask for more.

If I did it again, looking for boarding accessible from mainland Europe, I'd look at Sexeys, Old Swinford, Gordon's, Holyport, Cranbrook, Duke of York's. And Hockerill for my bilingual children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now