CCTV in girls school toilets?

(15 Posts)
Ksb6 Fri 10-Jun-16 08:28:19

My daughters have come home from Queen Elizabeth's girls school in Barnet and have told me that have put up CCTV cameras above the sinks in the girls toilets. There may be some elsewhere throughout the school. We haven't been informed as parents, and there are no warning signs up. Is this legal? Just who is watching them, and how secure is that footage? I'm a little concerned.....

titchy Fri 10-Jun-16 09:24:57

What's the issue? They're not in cubicles. All they'll see is girls washing their hands (hopefully!) and it should serve as a deterrent to those that use them to bully.

CodyKing Fri 10-Jun-16 09:26:29

I'd put money on bullying as well - thank god some schools are proactive

ByTheNine Fri 10-Jun-16 09:28:24

It will be to deter vandalism and to catch those who think they can hide in the toilets during lessons. It's legal and a good idea.

umiaisha Fri 10-Jun-16 09:32:56

I used to work in a secondary and as long as they are not viewing the cubicles/urinals it is legal.

CaurnieBred Fri 10-Jun-16 09:36:40

Is there a backstory here that made you feel you had to mention the school's name?

Tigerblue Fri 10-Jun-16 09:49:42

As long as the pupils know (so they don't change clothes, apply body spray in that area etc in that area), I don't see a problem. It's only the ones who bully, bunk off lessons or are up to no good who need to worry.

noblegiraffe Fri 10-Jun-16 09:55:57

Schools are covered in CCTV these days, it helps catch bullies and vandals. At my school it's not monitored, they only look at the footage if there's an incident.

The kids will know, they're not daft.

Summer23 Fri 10-Jun-16 10:00:18

I find this a bit unusual and would be checking with the school that the cameras don't cover the cubicles. Sounds a bit much to me so I would want to know the reasoning behind the decision.

TheNaze73 Fri 10-Jun-16 10:05:41

I don't think a school would deliberately go out of its way too antagonise parents but, maybe worth an email to the school? Sounds like bullying & coke/ganja prevention to me

Lottielou7 Fri 10-Jun-16 10:12:50

It seems that a lot of schools are using CCTV these days. I think that on balance its probably in the interests of the children's safety.

Ksb6 Fri 10-Jun-16 11:55:18

I'm completely ok with the anti bullying/ safety aspect, it's the fact that neither the pupils, nor parents were advised, and it's not signposted so they know not to change their clothes etc. I put the schools name up because I was wondering if any of the other parents at school had heard anything. Maybe I missed an email?

BigSandyBalls2015 Fri 10-Jun-16 11:58:26

My DDs school also has CCTV in the loos, all the girls were outraged about it. But I've since learnt that they aren't operational, they're just a deterrent as the toilets had been vandalised in the past. The pupils aren't aware of this though.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

apple1992 Sun 12-Jun-16 22:14:03

Why would you need an email?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now