Does anyone know about trip charges versus voluntary contribution please?

(8 Posts)
sockrage Mon 06-Jun-16 13:26:42

Childs school organised a reward trip

Does the voluntary contribution not apply because the trip is a reward trip rather than an educational one?

Dd doesn't usually go because we can't afford the trip plus the extra costs on top tbh but dd is desperate to go this time and i have just had to ask if they would hold her place until tomorrow till i can pay.

admission Mon 06-Jun-16 15:38:38

Difficult situation this. The school will no doubt not call it solely a reward but as an educational trip because if it is school day they are supposed to be being educated!
The one thing that I do think is important here is that your daughter understands the difficulties that you are facing in paying the cost of this. The school should also be open to the fact that parents cannot just spirit up money at a moment's notice and so some mechanism for paying over a period should be in place.
I think that you could argue either way who should shoulder the costs of the trip but the school will have a written policy on charging for such trips. It should be on the school website and that might help you in determining whether this trip should be at parent expenses or school expense.

Clavinova Mon 06-Jun-16 18:18:39

The 1996 Education Act requires all schools to publish a policy on charging and remissions for school activities - have you looked on the school's website op?

bojorojo Mon 06-Jun-16 18:19:01

I am interested to know what extra costs there are ontop of a school trip. Usually all entries are included and all pupils take is a packed lunch, which they normally have anyway.

I woud look at the charges and remissions policy. Also, does the school flag up that these trips may be offer at athe end of the year. I do feel sorry that your dd cannot go on any trip and I would urge that you try and send her on this one. She may end up being isloated if she does not go and I think chidren find it hard to be left behind every single time.

HostaFireandIce Mon 06-Jun-16 18:50:27

Where I used to work, the understanding was that you couldn't force anybody to pay to go on a curriculum trip; you could only request the payment and anybody could refuse and still send their child on the trip - it wasn't means tested or anything. In reality, all those who could afford to pay pretty much always did. The school had a separate hardship fund which parents had to apply for for non-curriculum or non-essential trips e.g. residential trips in the holidays which were not compulsory. I would think that a reward trip would fall into the latter category - they don't have to let people go who can't afford it because it's not essential for the curriculum, but I would have thought they would be sympathetic for a request for money from the hardship fund or equivalent. It would be mean not to. Depends of course if they have such a fund and how much is in it...

sockrage Mon 06-Jun-16 19:38:57

They did do such a trip last year however I thought it was a year 7 trip rather something which happened yearly and last year my parents had paid for a residential trip so I didn't see it as a huge issue she missed it.

This year she hasn't been on any trips. I have just paid for a geography trip as only a fiver.

The reward trip is to an attraction you cannot take your own food in. Its also a place they are likely to go in arcades, fairground stalls etc.

bojorojo Mon 06-Jun-16 21:33:01

I am very surprised any attraction says children cannot bring sandwiches. I would sneak them in. Who would know? Does DD have pocket money or could she do some jobs for other people for spending money ? If I knew you, I would help out! Ask the school for help if they have a hardship fund.

sockrage Mon 06-Jun-16 21:59:00

I know. They even checked bags last time we went hmm. My Mum is paying for the trip tomorrow for me so problem solved although I wish they would consider nearer and cheaper places for a reward trip.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now