Winchester College - do they actually have fun?

(10 Posts)
Quickqu Sun 05-Jun-16 20:27:01

Quick question - we went to the open day yesterday and loved it. Really, really impressed. But there was one nagging question that bugged me all the way around: do they actually have fun?

It all looked so serious, I worried that it might be all work and no play. And yes I know how academic it is, and understand you've got to work for that, but within reason.

I went to a pretty academic girls' school and did really well but we had a real laugh too. I don't want to consign my son to five years of slog without any letting off steam, too.

I'd love to hear from parents who'll tell me their sons really enjoy it, as this is the one nagging concern I don't feel I got an answer to yesterday.

Thank you!

Iguessyourestuckwithme Sun 05-Jun-16 20:29:03

I walk past the school 6 times a day - don't ask. But whenever I see the boys they always seem to be in good spirits, and having a joke/having fun on the way to classes.

buddyandpip Sun 05-Jun-16 20:45:13

My DS is just finishing his first year and absolutely loves it. He never talks about the work, but does talk about all the other things he does. He has time to go into town with his friends, plays a lot of sport, has been in plays, music concerts and is a member of a couple of societies. He has exams next week, but is not at all concerned and says that he has enough time to do his school work. They do have long days, but three afternoons a week are for them to take part in sport or other activities they may be interested in. Every Saturday night the boys have homework to do, but they all do it at the same time and my DS has never complained. He is really enjoying all the things the school can offer him, the only problem is choosing as there is so much on offer and he simply can't do it all. He is certainly finding time to have fun though!

Quickqu Sun 05-Jun-16 20:46:23

Thanks Iguess that is genuinely good to know.

The teachers/dons were v impressive, as was the head boy, but I think we didn't see enough boys to gauge how much they were enjoying it.

Quickqu Sun 05-Jun-16 20:51:30

Oh buddy that's great, thank you! Particularly encouraging as your son is in his first year there.

Other than that concern, we were blown away by the place.

abear Sun 05-Jun-16 20:53:53

I have a DS just coming to the end of his first year too and can second everything buddyandpip says. A couple of weeks ago DS said 'everything is just so good, there is nothing wrong at all, I love it'. DS is not known for overworking himself and loves to have fun. He is not phased by exam week starting tomorrow, in fact has been out for dinner with other friends in his house tonight. During the first half of this year there were so many tales of dorm raids and late night shenanigans I probably worried he was having too much fun!

Quickqu Sun 05-Jun-16 21:15:08

Thanks abear - I am feeling so encouraged, really appreciate you taking the time to reply. That sounds such fun - v glad to hear it, thank you!

happygardening Sun 05-Jun-16 23:33:41

Over the years I've heard a few current parents say that their DS's feel there's no fun, I once asked DS2 what he thought (he has 4 weeks left before he leaves) he's doesn't seem to know what they're complaining about.
Quite a few times I've been sitting in the car waiting to pick him up and watched him walk back to house he's usually laughing with a couple of friends.
Other boys we've met over the years seem pretty cheerful.

BarbaraPymish Mon 06-Jun-16 12:43:34

My son is in the first year and I agree with all of the above. It took him 2 terms to adjust but he's used to the pace and expectations now. He does have a lot of fun and dare I say it, has time for a bit of mischief too. There have been a few dorm raids, every Friday he seems to order Dominos with his friends and he sometimes goes in to town with them - usually to get tuck from Poundland!
He has made firm friends and is enjoying himself. What I've noticed is how he has changed over the year. He is far more confident (and scampish) then the boy he was at prep school.

Quickqu Mon 06-Jun-16 19:24:03

Thanks so much happy and *Barbara8 - really helpful and interesting. Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now