Information being sent to parents to pass on to pupils

(13 Posts)
MEgirl Fri 27-May-16 16:40:12

How does you school manage information that children should be given? This week I've received 14 emails from the school for 2 year groups.

I'm getting fed up with the number of emails containing information that should, in my view, be given directly to the children in school. Some info does need to come directly to parents but much could be given straight to the children.

This week alone I've had several emails sent to me directly aimed at DD. First one telling her that they recommend applying sunscreen for PE lessons and what type of caps can be worn. Second one with an attachment of their end of year exam timetable. Third, details of a special, off timetable day. Fourth, details of a gift collection project.

I asked if the exam timetable can be given directly to the kids. No, it can only be sent via email and they don't hold the kids contact info therefore it comes to the parents.

So far this year, with 3 children at the school, I've received 288 emails, not including the ones that I've already deleted. Some are duplicates as we receive and individual email per child rather than per family. Duplicates I often automatically delete.

I don't want to send things automatically to a different folder as I may miss important information but surely we don't need to see everything and they can find another way to manage.

titchy Fri 27-May-16 16:53:51

Problem is for every parent that doesn't want the exam timetable, there'll be at least one who does, so schools tend to take a view of sending parents too much rather than some parents missing out.

If you don't want the exam timetable etc hit delete!

StepAwayFromTheThesaurus Fri 27-May-16 17:00:48

We had to ask the school for an exam timetable for DS1 because information given to him never finds its way to us.

curren Fri 27-May-16 17:06:46

Our school do this. I can see why.

When I was at school letters rarely made it home, or info was forgotten.

There are 2.5k pupils at our school. So they email it so everyone has it. I just forward it to dds email and then she has it.

BackforGood Fri 27-May-16 17:09:08

I wish my ds had been at your dcs' school!
It would have been wonderful to have the occasional inkling about what goes on at school. Nothing ever came via ds.
Now e-mail systems are easily set up and cost free, I think it's great that schools keep parents (who wish to know) informed. those who don't can just delete.

MEgirl Fri 27-May-16 17:09:12

It didn't make it to the kids at all so I can't hit delete. If it was just for info, that's a different matter. I feel they are relying on parents to pass on details that should be going straight to the kids.

I don't want to be a helicopter parent. I want DD to learn to manage her affairs herself.

SavoyCabbage Fri 27-May-16 17:11:32

Ours is all through the child. Although we do each have our own sign in to her 'show my homework' account so we can look at it if we want.

I would set up a new email address for your whole family to access and check and then change your email with the school.

HSMMaCM Fri 27-May-16 17:12:24

Ours does both. DD lost everything she was given, but I always knew what was missing. Worked well for me.

curren Fri 27-May-16 17:25:20

You don't have to be a helicopter parent.

Just hit forward. Don't check up that they have done it or saved it. Just send them it, job done

HeyBells Fri 27-May-16 17:31:36

Ours usually sends everything in one email on Fridays, to get round the problem of multiple emails. That said, things like exam timetables will be emailed separately. I just forward anything relevant to DS for him to deal with.

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 27-May-16 19:41:07

Since year 3 (now year 7) DD has a school email account anything that is for her goes to her email account. I get aren't we brilliant sports reports, requests to pay for school trips and advice that they have administered her medication.

ShanghaiDiva Sun 29-May-16 03:29:00

DS's school - all students have a school email account and it all goes to him. Anything requiring a parent's permission comes home as a letter and general info re events is on school website.
This works really well.

GinandJag Sun 29-May-16 18:25:19

You can't please everyone all of the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now