Crappy thing to do, just one of those things, or follow up?

(9 Posts)
icouldabeenacontender Thu 26-May-16 09:49:05

My dc doesn't currently do PE due to a medical issue.
She has to go to the field or gym during PE lessons and either watch or sometimes umpire etc.
Yesterday she was carrying two small files of paper and pens for the teacher.
A different teacher asked her if she had the pen file and then threw a pen (I am assuming for her to catch?)
Although both hands were full my dc attempted to catch it, but didn't.
Contents of files went everywhere, teacher laughed and walked off leaving her to it.
Dc was quite pissed off at being embarrassed, I think it was bloody mean and unacceptable?
I do realise I might be over sensitive due to dc's health issue though.

icouldabeenacontender Thu 26-May-16 10:21:43

Anyone?

mummymeister Thu 26-May-16 10:51:46

I think you are being a bit sensitive tbh but then I am not in your shoes and don't know what the health problems are, how long they have gone on for etc.

one of my DC cant do PE most of the time. so we have got proper alternatives because they just look excluded otherwise. I would go into school and see what they can offer as a better alternative than hanging around like a spare part.

icouldabeenacontender Thu 26-May-16 10:59:46

She was going to the library, but they felt it was better to have her involved in some way.
She's had a spinal fusion, back full of metal.
I will take it on board I am in over sensitive parent mode though.

ealingwestmum Thu 26-May-16 14:04:21

Whether you are being over sensitive or not to your current medical issue your DD faces, I think it was a crappy thing for the teacher to do. I think some sports teachers hear so many excuses for non participation, that they become completely desensitised to an individual genuine case. I know where my DD has turned up for sport and explained an injury, she has at times been given harder drills/treatment, almost as reverse punishment. She doesn't get it, thinking at least she turned up, more than some would do. Solution is to not divulge upfront now, not ideal, she needs to be smarter and choose her battles, and for her to read her body better and discontinue a session vs making it worse.

I hope that this was just a one off for your DD, as her condition alone must have been difficult to endure, let alone the odd bout of a teacher getting kicks out of humiliating children.

icouldabeenacontender Thu 26-May-16 14:12:44

Well I did think it was a crappy thing to do anyway, let alone to a student who has had ongoing problems. I am aware however that I might be over protective etc.
The PE dept do seem to be particularly obtuse though, she had a 60% attendance last year and her teacher told her she couldn't study in the library during PE time as she was at an unfair advantage over the other students.
She's getting quite worn down by some of the teachers' insensitivity.

Bolograph Thu 26-May-16 14:21:07

You want to be an international sportsman, famed for grace under pressure and the way you never give up.

You'd settle for being respected as the teacher whose pupils come back to the school years later to thank you.

You are a PE teacher.

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 26-May-16 15:20:58

Bolo DD's PE teachers are the mother of two international sports people and an ex-international sports person. Neither of them behave like this and are incredibly inclusive.
My DD is the most unsporting child, who they have encouraged and engaged to the point at which the other day she came home excited as she had been able to run an extra quarter lap in the allocated time. The ex-international sports person gave her 4 house points (the max allowed) for all her effort.
Not all PE teachers behave in this way.

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 26-May-16 15:21:21

Bolo DD's PE teachers are the mother of two international sports people and an ex-international sports person. Neither of them behave like this and are incredibly inclusive.
My DD is the most unsporting child, who they have encouraged and engaged to the point at which the other day she came home excited as she had been able to run an extra quarter lap in the allocated time. The ex-international sports person gave her 4 house points (the max allowed) for all her effort.
Not all PE teachers behave in this way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now