GCSE Controlled Assessments

(18 Posts)
errorofjudgement Sat 21-May-16 07:48:24

DD in Y10 just completed her CA for History (10 lessons of independent work).
She has told me that a couple of students have done very little in this time & been told they will get extra time to finish.
I thought the whole point was to do a set piece of work in the set time.
Have I misunderstood?
And aibu to feel this is unfair on those who have completed the task in the time?

RedHelenB Sat 21-May-16 08:54:04

think you can take the time you need but it has to be done in controlled conditions.

swingofthings Sat 21-May-16 09:11:53

My experience of CA is that there are as uncontrolled as they can get! I couldn't believe when DD said that some pupils in her English Lang class were given almost the whole extra summer to finish a piece of work, ie. it was started in Year 10 in June, deadline for submission was end of term, but some hadn't finished and were told they could hand it in in September.

Saying that, even after that, a number of them, including DD, got to rework on it following the teacher's assessment before it was officially submitted.

I think the whole concept of CA is a complete farce and I'm delighted it is being scrapped as it represents in no way a true account of pupils work. It was introduce to gain a sense of their ability throughout the year rather than based on one exam, but it got manipulated to be treated just like exams, an aim to a good grade.

errorofjudgement Sat 21-May-16 12:05:41

This is very confusing. DD definitely hold they had to complete this in the 10 lessons (hours?).

Wolfiefan Sat 21-May-16 12:06:47

Some students are entitled to extra time due to SEN.

pieceofpurplesky Sat 21-May-16 12:23:11

English no longer has controlled assessments in Year 10 and other subjects it's the last year. So future pupils will have 100% exam.

PotteringAlong Sat 21-May-16 12:29:19

I teach gcse history - the lesson work to build up to it is unlimited time. You get a set amount of time in high controlled conditions to write it up. More time than that (unless they're entitled to extra time) breaks the rules. But the actual planning and teaching time is up to the staff concerned.

errorofjudgement Sat 21-May-16 15:06:44

Than you PotteringAlong. My understanding was that once you started the actual assessment then it was time limited (with extra time for students with SEN as WolfieFan rightly says)

In the instances my DD is relating, the SEN doesn't apply (they are friends she has known for many years) & in the same class, 1 is on the same table! So haven't missed any sessions.

All sounds very strange. I guess DD may be confused but I think I'm trying to convince myself here.

GinandJag Sat 21-May-16 16:08:41

It is unfair and th school should not be allowing this to happen.

catslife Sat 21-May-16 16:51:27

Unless they qualify for extra time due to access arrangements (SEN) or have missed any of the lessons due to illness, they shouldn't have any extra time if the assessment is time limited.
At the end of the day all pupils would do better if they had more time for these assessments and that is why these rules are there to make sure that there is a level playing field for all pupils.

errorofjudgement Sat 21-May-16 18:52:36

I so agree with your comments.
But I don't think I can do anything, except quietly fume on behalf of DD and all the other students who are following the rules.

Coconutty Sat 21-May-16 20:10:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PotteringAlong Sat 21-May-16 21:51:38

It is time limited once you've started the actual assessment but not the background work building up to the assessment iyswim?

ChipperCharlie Sat 21-May-16 21:57:25

In my dept (languages) we have a month from start of task to end of task. Perhaps those students had less hours than the others? I take a paper register during CAT season because our school has so much Maths and English intervention so KS4 kids are pulled out of other classes lots. It's. Slight bending of rules to give some
Pupils 'more time' but we stick to the other rules rigidly.

ChipperCharlie Sat 21-May-16 22:01:30

I do agree with pp though - CATs are very open to abuse do bring on the 100% exam. Unfortunately here in Wales, we're always a few years behind England in the decision making confused

ChipperCharlie Sat 21-May-16 22:02:05

so not do

homebythesea Sun 22-May-16 08:24:14

I think you should be pleased your child has completed the task and does not now have it hanging over her head in definiteky which can only create more stress. As long as she is happy with the quality of the work submitted it really doesn't matter what her friends are doing. Does she really believe she could have done better if she had extra time?

Eastyone Tue 31-May-16 15:52:57

Just a thought as we've been in a similar position although my daughter does get extra time. You could ask for the schools CA policy which they must have according to the JCQ - I asked for this at my daughters school and they didn't have one! Some I can see from websites are fantastic

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now