Does anyone know about Gcse scoring please

(37 Posts)
sockrage Wed 18-May-16 18:28:46

If a child scored 47 out of 200 on an intermediate (old) test in school what grade would that be?

noblegiraffe Wed 18-May-16 18:40:59

Maths? Which exam board?

TheSecondOfHerName Wed 18-May-16 18:42:38

1. Find out which exam board and go to their website.
2. Find out which year the exam was from and look for the document with the grade boundaries for that year. Sometimes there are two sets of exams in one year: one in May/June and one in November.
3. Look through the document to find the correct subject. There's usually more than one paper for each subject, so you need to know the reference number for that particular exam paper.

sockrage Wed 18-May-16 18:48:53

Ahh thank you. She has just informed me she got an E after letting me search! Can anyone tell me if she got an E in year 8 what she is likely to get in year 11.

sockrage Wed 18-May-16 18:49:26

Normal progress wise I mean.

noblegiraffe Wed 18-May-16 18:56:32

I can't even predict what my Y10s will be getting in Y11 on the new GCSE, let alone Y8. No one knows.

If it's any use, a grade E is roughly a level 5, she would probably have got a C on the old system. Whether she'll pass the new GCSE is up in the air.

sockrage Wed 18-May-16 19:00:48

Noble thanks. I was trying to find out roughly how far behind for year 8 she was and its all this learning without levels now.

BertrandRussell Wed 18-May-16 19:07:04

Why are you doing GCSE papers with a year 8? And why do you think she's behind?

Balletgirlmum Wed 18-May-16 19:11:19

Doing old GCSE papers is a pointless excercise as in year 8 she won't have been taught the syllabus especially such an old syllabus.

I'd advise instead going to a website like sats-papers.co.uk & downloading one of the year 8 optional sats papers. It's not the new curriculum but will be based more on the topics a year 8 is expected to have covered.

noblegiraffe Wed 18-May-16 19:24:07

Doing intermediate GCSE papers in Y8 is fine in terms of content because the KS3 and KS4 maths curriculum are (pretty much) the same.

There are some differences in style of question and a couple of topics will be different between then and now, but not much.
SATs papers will also be out of date for the new curriculum and the style of questions are very different.

sockrage Wed 18-May-16 19:26:16

Just to clarify school did the exams as end of year tests not me!

She has been really struggling in maths.

TheSecondOfHerName Wed 18-May-16 19:31:52

If she is being given exams where she scores less than 25% then that must be fairly demoralising. Doing some more basic work over the summer might increase her confidence. Some children work harder when they feel that they are doing well.

noblegiraffe Wed 18-May-16 19:42:36

What did she get at KS2?

BertrandRussell Wed 18-May-16 19:44:20

What a completely rubbish thing to do. What is the school thinking of?

Why do you think she's behind in Maths?

noblegiraffe Wed 18-May-16 19:48:58

What is the school thinking of?

The government scrapped levels and introduced a new GCSE. Schools now have nothing to go on in terms of assessment and have been told to do their own thing.
The new GCSE foundation paper is at about the same level as the old intermediate paper so to gauge how kids are likely to do on the new GCSE I'm not surprised that they're getting kids to sit intermediate papers. No point in getting them to sit SATs papers as levels are gone.

sockrage Wed 18-May-16 19:51:13

A 4c in maths Noble.

BertrandRussell Wed 18-May-16 19:53:22

Giving a child a GCSE paper that she will only get 25% in in year 8 is ridiculous.

Balletgirlmum Wed 18-May-16 19:57:34

Dds school still uses levels incidentally. It's a real no mans land time.

noblegiraffe Wed 18-May-16 20:01:07

Later year groups will be used to sitting papers they can't access a lot of after Ks1 and KS2 SATS.

Blame the government for this shambles. Schools are trying to do their best.

BertrandRussell Wed 18-May-16 20:23:26

"Schools are trying to do their best"

Usually. Not in this case.

TeenAndTween Wed 18-May-16 20:27:21

OP. If you want to help her this is what I would do in your circumstances if you feel competent (don't know whether noble will agree):

Ask to see the paper (DD's school always let her have hers)
Look through the paper and look for trends in errors
- silly mistakes
- basic skills (e.g. addition, division)
- reading graphs
- negative numbers
- deciphering wordy questions
- clueless about topic
etc.

Then help on the most 'simple' areas.

TheFallenMadonna Wed 18-May-16 20:28:12

In Maths, there is no problem with sitting a GCSE paper in KS3. I gave my DS a foundation paper when he was in year 6, just for interest (mine, not his...) to see how levels and grades matched up and he scored in line with his KS2 SATs. I wouldn't't do it in Science, because of the content difference.

BertrandRussell Wed 18-May-16 23:35:08

"In Maths, there is no problem with sitting a GCSE paper in KS3"

There is if you know the child concerned is going to get 25%. Because getting 25% is hugely demotivating,. And if you don't know the child is going to get 25% what are you doing being a teacher?

noblegiraffe Wed 18-May-16 23:49:04

25% could nearly get you a C on a higher GCSE paper. Maths teachers are used to managing expectations of that sort of score on an exam. Students need to get used to it too.

sockrage Thu 19-May-16 14:19:36

Thanks Teen that is what I want to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now