Maths GCSE - AQA - does this seem right?

(8 Posts)
Ningnoise Wed 18-May-16 14:07:23

It's been a long time since I did my maths GCSE but I've just caught site of a letter stating which modules my nephew has been entered for. He is at college and is studying this along side other qualifications.

He seems to have been entered for two foundation papers and one higher for the same qualification. So he's been entered for:

43601F - stats & number
43602F - Number & Algebra
43603H - Geometry and Algebra

In my day the tiers were not mixed and he seems to think he is doing foundation. I'm just slightly concerned there has been an error in what he has been entered for. Am I worrying unnecessarily or does this seem odd?

Thanks.

catslife Wed 18-May-16 15:07:33

It hasn't changed since your day. Pupils either take foundation tier or
Higher tier for Maths not both.

Sairelou Wed 18-May-16 15:09:56

I did different levels for different modules in 2004.

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 18-May-16 15:26:16

They can mix tiers aqa

catslife Wed 18-May-16 15:32:44

Correction my post should have read that you can't mix tiers if the 2 papers are timetabled for the same day.
So you can't take both IF and 1H as these are done at the same time.

noblegiraffe Wed 18-May-16 15:55:31

This is fine for modular.

EllenJanethickerknickers Wed 18-May-16 16:27:34

You can certainly mix tiers for AQA core or additional science, eg foundation chem and phys and higher biology to give an overall core or additional GCSE, so I would think you could for maths. All the marks get converted to UMS and pooled to give an overall grade.

Ningnoise Sun 22-May-16 11:59:00

Sorry for the delay in coming back - it has been a hectic week!

Thanks for all the information. It's exactly what I needed to know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now