Private secondary in Reading or Wokingham area

(18 Posts)
Chlorella Tue 17-May-16 18:00:37

It's looking like we may need to relocate for DH's job. Can anyone give any current info on private schools or grammar schools in the Reading or Wokingham area? For DD currently y5 so single sex or coed. Thanks

SalmonMaki Tue 17-May-16 23:13:49

In East Reading there is the Abbey school and St Joseph's convent school. Both are primary and secondary. Fees are higher at the Abbey I believe and St Joe's went coed around 4 years ago.

We know parents at both schools and they're happy for their kids (although via the grapevine, I've heard of a girl leave St Joe's secondary recently, mid-year, as the school couldn't or wouldn't support her learning difficulties).

Leighton Park is often well regarded, coed senior school on the edge of the University campus.

Hemdean over in Caversham has a vibrant junior school but I understand the senior is closing at the end of this academic year.

St Anne's is also over in Caversham, but you may find it too far from Wokingham?

I don't know Wokingham schools I'm afraid.

Berkslass Tue 17-May-16 23:17:55

I was going to say the same as SalmonMaki. I live in Wokingham and have a daughter in year 5 at the Abbey. Are you planning on moving this term or at the start of year 6? Would you prefer a school that will follow through to senior school?

RustyBear Tue 17-May-16 23:27:16

Wokingham has Luckley House, Reddam, Holme Grange (though I think only to 16) Dolphin School goes up to 13.

If you are interested in the girls' state grammar school in Reading, Kendrick School (very tough to get in), the test is in September, but you have to register for it by noon on June 27th.

Chlorella Wed 18-May-16 08:04:02

Thank you all so much - I will investigate. Not sure when exactly we are moving, but probably towards the end of y6 beginning of y7 (hence private as that will be a nightmare for state applications!)

Lots to investigate so thanks for all your help.

stealthsquiggle Wed 18-May-16 23:40:04

DB1 went to Leighton Park, I went to the Abbey, we both went to Dolphin and DM taught at Dolphin and Luckley. We lived on the Binfield side of Wokingham.

DragonRojo Thu 19-May-16 07:30:57

I am a happy Leighton Park parent. I can answer questions by PM if you have any

bojorojo Fri 20-May-16 01:28:33

For y7 there is a wide choice of girls schools in Ascot. Heathfield would only be 7 miles from Wokingham.

GinandJag Fri 20-May-16 05:39:23

Reddam House is worth considering.

HereIAm20 Fri 20-May-16 15:11:02

Why in particular would you want to go to private secondary when there is Kendrick Girls (grammar school) which is state and performs very highly free of charge in Reading?

Chlorella Fri 20-May-16 16:41:45

Having looked at Kendrick (which looks amazing) I am not sure DD would pass the entrance exam. She is I guess top 20% bright, not top 5%.
So many schools to investigate. Thanks all smile

stealthsquiggle Fri 20-May-16 19:12:24

Kendrick was scarily hard to get into and even more so if you lived anywhere other than in central Reading IIRC. Has that changed?

SalmonMaki Mon 23-May-16 11:26:43

Stealth the catchment for Kendrick is about 12 miles, it's been in place for about 4 maybe 5 years I think. Plenty of girls travel in using either bus or train.

MrsJamin Tue 24-May-16 23:08:51

For kendrick, you're talking about top 1-2%, not top 5% of a class. It's ridiculously competitive and many parents pay for tutoring for years to get kids in so they can save on private fees hmm

FoxSticks Tue 24-May-16 23:11:56

stealth my MIL taught at Lucker and I went there for school - I wonder if we would know of each other?

FoxSticks Tue 24-May-16 23:12:36

Luckley even - stupid autocorrect

DPotter Tue 24-May-16 23:26:24

Agree with Salmonmaki - We're very happy with the Abbey school.
Please do not underestimate the difficulty of in-year transfers, so get registering sooner rather than later.

Chlorella Thu 09-Jun-16 14:44:17

Hi all - having looked we are thinking probably the Abbey. Are there any more views on the school? I will start a new thread with the name in the title smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now