help for gcse music piece!

(5 Posts)
carolinefloc Tue 10-May-16 21:40:02

My son and his friend have decided to do a duet piano/guitar for their GCSE music, and they have to find URGENTLY a piece that can be grade 5 in both instruments. Actually, it could be of a lower grade in piano as our piano teacher has very kindly offered to arrange that part.. And of course the boys want something pop or rock, but after hours of searching, I think they would take whatever they can find.. Anyone has an idea please? Thank you very much!

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 11-May-16 08:08:56

bump for you! You could also ask in the Extra curricular section where lots of talented musicians hang out.

carolinefloc Wed 11-May-16 08:23:36

Thank you for the tip, I'll do that!

Ionacat Wed 11-May-16 08:31:02

As a starting point I would look at the Rockschool grade 4/5 books for piano and see if there is anything there that can be adapted for guitar, (and ideally find a singer to sing the main part over the top). (I'm assuming we're talking year 10 here and not year 11, or my advice would be very different.) You can also get band based Rockschool books - grade 5 one here would be useful as it has keys and guitar parts of the right standard.
However, I would also suggest to your son that he finds a back up plan - preferably either a piano duet where someone can perform the other part or an accompaniment for a pop song and find a singer to sing the main line over the top and the same for his friend. If this is urgent, then at least he has something he can play, even if it is not what he intended.

Lottie4 Wed 11-May-16 10:54:16

I appreciate they would like to do something pop or rock, but how about a piece that one of them felt they did well in during their Grade 5 exam. Their instrument teachers may be able to give some suggestions.

If your son can't sort something out with his friend, would his instrument teacher duet with him? That way, he's with someone whose got lots of experience and will cope better covering up mistakes if the piece doesn't go well on the day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now