Has anyone applied for a grammar school place in an area that they are intending to move to, from an area that doesn't use 11+?

(15 Posts)
CantSleepWontSleep Wed 04-May-16 22:17:23

If so, how did you go about sitting entrance exams please?

TheMightyMing Wed 04-May-16 22:21:53

We didn't move but my son sat two exams out of area, we did it via the schools applied directly. I think if you intended to move then you had to have done so by a certain day for a catchment place, but we always knew we were going to be Ooc and so didn't pin hopes on a place. having said that, one was a faith grammar and we knew that if he passed then he would probably get a place. As it happened he passed both but opted for the one that wasn't a banker, so we were by no means confident that we would be allocated until March 1st. He got first choice.

bojorojo Thu 05-May-16 18:08:09

You have to look up the rules on the web site of the local authority that runs the test or register with the school if they administer the test. In my 11 plus, the County Council has full details on its we site. They administer most admissions as well as the tests. I would also assume an individual school could tell you what to do and point you in the right direction if you have your eye on one.

pratiaalba Thu 05-May-16 18:14:50

All the schools have the admissions arrangements on their websites. Have a look at the ones you're interested in, and find out what you need to do to register for the test.
Schools near me had children applying from 80 miles away last year, so it's definitely known.
Then, after you have the results, on your preference form, you put the schools as your preferences, even though they're in different authorities.
That's assuming they're state grammars, not private grammars, sorry.
Are the schools very far from where you are now? Not sure about the practicalities, though the entrance tests are mainly at the weekend here.
Someone else must have sat out of authority, hopefully they'll be along soon.

LittleFriendSusan Thu 05-May-16 18:36:22

We applied to the neighbouring county as no grammars in our area. We registered directly with the schools & they sent out details of practice tests, etc. All practice tests & actual tests were done on a Saturday & IIRC both schools had separate test sittings for children coming from out of county (there were a lot of us!!).

Practice tests were June time and the real tests in September but I can't remember how soon we had to register.

I would check the schools' websites for admissions information & also try to get to their open evenings if you can as you can usually register then.

When it came to actually applying we did it through our LEA but deadlines were the same.

eleven59 Thu 05-May-16 18:53:33

Am I right that you're talking about an in-year admission? Contact the school and they'll inform you of the procedure.

CantSleepWontSleep Thu 05-May-16 22:45:27

No it wouldn't be an in year admission eleven59.

We're about 90 miles away from the school in question, but would move to the area for a different way of life.

Unfortunately, from looking at the school website, it seems that we should have registered our request to sit the exam by March just gone, even though we don't want entry until Sept 17 shock, and the tests themselves would be this September. Eek.

Going to look at the area this weekend (have never been to the town that we're thinking of moving to!), so if we like it and are serious about moving then I'd better give the school a call and talk through what we can do about it. It might mean that we'd have to move dd for her last year of primary too, which we hadn't really wanted to do. Arrrgh!

Thanks all.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Thu 05-May-16 22:57:47

You need to look at whether it is a superselective (takes top 5% or so and ranks by score). If a superselective you might stand a chance from where you are if your dd is v.v. clever and is tutored enough . If it is a 'normal' grammar (top 25-30%) then it might be a pass/fail situation and the nearest x who pass will be offered a place. You would need to be living nearby on application day and you need to consider that if you move now, what your options there would be if she doesn't pass. Some schools near grammars suffer because the top % are creamed off.

CantSleepWontSleep Thu 05-May-16 23:37:04

Thankfully there is another good option for girls nearby if she weren't successful ('good' ofsted rather than outstanding, but I've read the report and website and get a good feeling from it, and I found a previous post from an MNer whose daughter is there who said good things).

Not such good alternatives for our boys in a few years if they failed entrance, but a lot can happen in a school in 4 years.

We're also going to look at some villages just a few miles away that would feed into a non-selective secondary that gets an outstanding ofsted and good results, albeit it's a larger school than we would ideally choose.

pratiaalba Thu 05-May-16 23:57:13

Oh dear, that's not great news about the deadline..
The grammars in our area have a 'late applicants' sitting of the exam, later than the other main test. Mainly for people in your situation, moving into the area. Occasionally it's for children that were v ill at testing time.

If you're moving (well, haven't moved yet) from an area with no grammars, has she done any preparation at all? For super-electives, she will need to have some exam paper practice no matter how clever she is, really- the time training is pretty important. Also consider that as she's Y5, she may not yet have covered the curriculum that will be tested on the 11+ paper. (grammars all have different entrance tests though, so depends on the type)

bojorojo Fri 06-May-16 00:05:12

You may also need to check primary school places too. Some schools have no space or cannot accommodate children in the years you want. Check every angle before you move! Where I live, the county-wide test is taken in September of Y6. So, they need to be up to speed very quickly.

CantSleepWontSleep Fri 06-May-16 00:15:08

No we've not done any prep, as this is a very recent idea!

Sept of yr 6 looks to be right for the county that I'm looking at bojorojo (Lincs).

I would definitely be phoning primaries before making a move. Am very conscious of potential lack of spaces, as the ones I've looked at on rightmove all seem to have been oversubscribed recently, so we'd be needing someone to have left in all of the right years! Whilst it can be slightly easier to win an appeal for an in-year place in KS2, one of ours would still be KS1 if we moved this summer rather than next, so that could be a problem. Though he'd be quite happy to be homeschooled, as he wants more time with mummy (one of the reasons we're considering the move in the first place). grin

pratiaalba Fri 06-May-16 00:21:01

Have you looked on the 11+ website too? There'll be lots of info on there, and it's separated into areas (quite local ones) so you can see what the expectations/requirements are like for individual schools.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Fri 06-May-16 09:09:47

The 11+ will cover topics traditionally covered up to end of yr 6 too, such as algebra etc. There is still time to prep but you will need to make sure that she has covered the syllabus. Check too whether being in a non-selective area will be a disadvantage in applying to grammar. Sometimes it can put you lower in the list than people living further away. Is it selective or superselective?

CantSleepWontSleep Fri 06-May-16 20:01:02

Selective, not superselective smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now