grammar school areas - 6th form question

(8 Posts)
BoyMeetsWorld Mon 25-Apr-16 20:27:03

Hi,
Does anybody have any experience of sending DCs to private school yr 7-11 then back into state / grammar for 6th form?

How did they find it and how easily did you obtain a place?

Leeds2 Mon 25-Apr-16 21:48:38

I have no direct experience, but a friend's DD went from private to (super?) selective grammar for sixth form. She passed an entrance exam, don't know how easily, and has settled well and making excellent academic progress.

mummytime Tue 26-Apr-16 07:52:16

I know lots of private school pupils join the local Comp for sixth form (in at least one subject it is simply the best place to study), lots also join local sixth form colleges. But we're not a grammar school area.

BoyMeetsWorld Tue 26-Apr-16 08:29:34

Thank you....I'm just wondering in ridiculously competitive catchment areas, whether it's still like that at 6th form or totally different so long as you have the right grades

ThroughThickAndThin01 Tue 26-Apr-16 08:34:47

Quite a few leave dses private school for grammar 6th form. There's s lot of movement generally On changing schools for 6th form in my area, state to private as well.

G1raffe Tue 26-Apr-16 08:43:10

I used to teach in a grammar school. One problem some found is that the main body of students had already had 4 years together and knew the ways of the school/established friends and some.found it quite hard to settle in in the 6th form. It's different than going to the college where everyone is new. Similarly in some subjects they had been taught to a v high level at GCSE so that was assumed at A level. Obviously not all subjects and obviously loads made friends but it's part of the mix.

tiggytape Tue 26-Apr-16 09:50:15

In terms of obtaining a place, external applicants cannot be set a higher entrance requirement than internal applicants but internal applicants generally get first priority for 6th form places.

In practice this means most state schools create some new places for 6th and, added to those are the newly vacated places of the GCSE students who choose to study elsewhere and those who do not achieve the required grades to stay.

Therefore exact number of places available can vary a bit year from year. External candidates will be chosen from those who meet the GCSE grade criteria. There will be an admissions policy for each school to say which tie breakers come into play when more external candidates meet the grade requirements than there are places (siblings and distance for example).
State schools are not allowed to base decisions on interviews, references, extra curricular activities or good behaviour records.
The same process applies to state grammar and state comprehensive schools but generally state grammar schools ask for higher minimum GCSE grades

senua Tue 26-Apr-16 09:51:14

Look at the size of the cohort. If it is 90 in a year in lower school but 180 in a year in sixth form, then it's (very generally speakinggrin) twice as easy to get in.
Our local superselective is very difficult to get into at Y7, you have to be about 98 percentile. But, by the time they take in the extra pupils at sixth form, their results are not stunning and they produce a lot of B grades at A Level.
Have a look at the DfE performance tables for a clue: our SS has an average point score of A- at KS4 then B+ for KS5.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now