what is appealing ???

(6 Posts)
Rainbowdoom Tue 19-Apr-16 15:47:34

My son was put into a waiting list recently and he is second. However can I appeal ? I'm confused or is appealing for when you are Completely refused a please . If I can how and what is it

DesertOrDessert Tue 19-Apr-16 15:58:50

Appealing is when you think a mistake has been made, and you should have got a place.
So, say the boy further down the road got a place, as has no reason to be higher priority than you ( so no siblings, adoption, faith criteria, whatever school has published), so the education authority has messed up somewhere.

If the LEA has done everything correctly, and there are more kids who meet the criteria than places, IMO, speaking is a stressful waste of time
Are you talking about Primary school place? It might be worth reposting innthere. There are some reallcexpers, rather than my layman's experience.

poisonedbypen Tue 19-Apr-16 16:02:05

You can still appeal on oversubscription grounds and remain on the waiting list, I believe. You would have to prove that the benefit to your child would outweigh the overcrowding at the school. I'm sure someone will be along with practical advice soon.

t4gnut Tue 19-Apr-16 16:05:40

You can do both. Sadly most parents are woefully misinformed and come from a customer service culture where, if you stamp your feet enough, you get what you want. Appeals and admissions do not work that way.

namechangedtoday15 Tue 19-Apr-16 16:10:44

As poisoned said you can appeal that you have not been offered a place. If you are subsequently offered a place because you're on the waiting list you can stop the appeal.

But the grounds for appeal are that the benefit to your DC outweighs any detriment to the school by admitting him. It's quite involved but there are some very wise MNETTERS that can help.

prh47bridge Tue 19-Apr-16 17:10:07

Appeals and the waiting list are two different things. Your son has not got a place at your preferred school so you are entitled to appeal. If you win he will be admitted immediately. If you lose he will still be on the waiting list so you might still get a place that way.

Some of the posts above are not entirely correct. The main grounds for appeal are:

- a mistake has been made that cost your son a place
- the decision to refuse admission was unreasonable
- your son will be adversely affected if he does not go to this school

Note that "unreasonable" in the context of the second point above basically means "irrational". It covers things such as allocations that raise child protection issues.

If you want to appeal post more details and you will receive advice that may help you to improve your chances of success.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now