Where do you find tutors?

(9 Posts)
ValancyJane Thu 14-Apr-16 13:47:15

I'm a teacher who's looking to start picking up some tutoring after my maternity leave ends; I teach Science and am a good teacher so am reasonably hopeful! I'd just be really interested to know if you've used a tutor in the past, where have you found them? I'm trying to work out if I should go through an agency or not really!

Many thanks in advance smile

GetMeOut Thu 14-Apr-16 15:14:50

I have gone through an agency before, but I still look at handwritten ads in local shops as well. Local on line forums can be useful as well. Word of mouth still works too.
I think from your point of view going through an agency would mean that you don't have to deal with bills or advertising, though I imagine the agency takes a %......

catslife Thu 14-Apr-16 15:37:57

You don't have to just do agency work or find pupils yourself you can do both.
Yes agencies can take a percentage (and some are better than others). As a tutor (and as a parent) the advantages of using a (good) agency is that they take references, check DBS status and check qualifications.
Also from your point of view agencies can help weed out time-wasters, sort out any problems that occur e.g. cancelled lessons etc

mummytime Thu 14-Apr-16 16:08:48

Word of mouth once you get started is good. The best to find would be any home ed groups in your area, they often run groups/classes especially near GCSE years.

Do you know anyone with children that age? Because talking to them would be a good start. Maybe advertising in local community group leaflets too.

ValancyJane Thu 14-Apr-16 20:43:46

Thanks all, that's really useful smile No I don't know anyone with children that age unfortunately. Hadn't thought of shop windows, and community leaflets is a good idea too. You also make a good case for agencies while getting established.

Thanks again! smile

BoSelectaBigBiff Thu 14-Apr-16 21:05:12

Hi OP, I've found mine through word of mouth from other school mums. Will your DC be going to nursery? If so, then some parents there may have school age children that need tutoring, or know people who are looking.

Could you possibly start with an agency, then after a while leave them and rely on recommendations from past parents? Good luck!

BennyTheBall Thu 14-Apr-16 21:07:20

My son has a chemistry tutor and we use him because of recommendation, and primarily results!

raisedbyguineapigs Thu 14-Apr-16 21:10:00

I did this when I had babies too. I registered with an online site for tutors called home tutors directory. This was 5 years ago though and I am back classroom teaching now though so don't know if they're still around. I think you can advertiser on Gumtree too. I got quite a lot of work from that site.

daphnedill Fri 15-Apr-16 03:53:27

I'm a tutor and advertise on Tutorhunt, First Tutors and in a local directory. My first students came from the advertisements, but now most of them are word of mouth or siblings of former students.

Tutorhunt and First Tutors will need references and scans of any qualifications you have. I've had quite a few enquiries from the local directory, but some of them are time-wasters.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now