Got ideas to improve parents' evening?

(8 Posts)
ThreeBearsMum Thu 14-Apr-16 12:25:24

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 14-Apr-16 14:07:38

A bell everyone moves when the bell goes so neither parent or teachers over run. I see it like a 'station based exam' you feed in at one end, bell goes parents all move one space, bell goes move on feed out other end. Parents arrive in the order teachers expect them and the whole thing runs to time. I know it will never happen.

t4gnut Thu 14-Apr-16 14:08:18

Don't go.

LineyReborn Thu 14-Apr-16 14:09:53

Don't bother. They're crap.

Bluelilies Thu 14-Apr-16 14:40:41

Have 10 mintue slots, if necessary limiting the number of teachers you sign up to see.

One or two teachers at the last one I went to had double-booked her 5 minute slots (because she taught too many classes and couldn't stay to the whole evening hmm), which meant there was 2.5 minutes per family, and caused a huge backlog of parents to see and making all the other teachers run late.

At the better of my two children's schools they sometimes do a general group meeting with all the parents before the individual appointments, which allows teachers to share general information about the syllubus, exams, routines, etc with all the paretns in one go instead of repeating themselves to each parent and taking up the limited amount of 1-1 time.

LittleBoat Thu 14-Apr-16 14:46:32

Don't have them. Honestly. It would be much better if meetings were arranged by either the teacher or the parents as required.

oldestmumaintheworld Thu 14-Apr-16 14:48:23

Make sure teachers are prepared to be honest with parents. And trained if necessary to deliver bad news appropriately. There is far too much use of euphemistic language which confuses parents . No-one likes to give or receive bad news especially about their child, but parents need to know. This should also come along with a plan or action and support if necessary.

FarAwayHills Thu 14-Apr-16 16:55:09

Provide a progress report for each subject in advance of parents evening, highlighting any areas for concern or behaviour issues etc.

This would allow parents to prepare any questions in advance and also prioritise which teachers to see. The most frustrating thing I find about parents evening is leaving having forgotten to ask something. It is also annoying getting a report at the end of the school year when there is little opportunity at that point to ask questions or improve things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now