Y10 Spanish help- any ideas?

(9 Posts)
Draylon Thu 07-Apr-16 20:58:36

Just seen DS's report (found deep within his bag...!)

It's all top marks for effort, but currently his Spanish it at level 'D' which is his lowest mark.

Can anyone suggest resources we could use to improve it? Websites? Online games? Age appropriate Spanish TV on YouTube? Nightly vocab games? (from where?) Tutoring??

TIA

BellaVida Thu 07-Apr-16 21:05:55

BBC GCSE Bitsize is a good resource to cover all the topics. Also, find out if the school has access to LanguagePerfect- good for grammar and vocabulary.

Do you have a Spanish cultural center near you or a 'language exchange' for students to meet up and practice with native speakers?

Draylon Thu 07-Apr-16 21:10:54

Thanks, I've been looking at Bitesize this evening as it happens! I will have to get DS to sit with me for a bit.

Round where we live, French would be more accessible.

WyfOfBathe Thu 07-Apr-16 23:08:08

If you can find out what, if any, websites he can access through school, that will be a starting point. Linguascope has a lot of learning games, but schools have to pay for a subscription.

Languages Online is a free website with lots of good grammar exercises. they're not all aimed at GCSE students but if he knows what areas he needs to work on, he can find them there. Languageskills.co.uk also have a range of useful games and quizzes, which are free to access.

If he gets vocab lists from school, or has access to a textbook with lists in, Quizlet is a free site to make online flash cards which also offers games with the vocab you put it.

Duolingo is a fun app, although it's not specifically for GCSE/school-based learners, which has really good content (although it might teach Latin American Spanish, I'm not sure)

As far as TV is concerned, kids' shows are much easier to understand. Try typing into YouTube "Peppa Pig en español" or for something more authentic "Pocoyo" is a Spanish kids' show. If he doesn't want to watch children's TV, try finding Spanish versions of shows he's already seen so he can follow the story more easily.

Spanish music can also be helpful and more enjoyable than sitting down to revise verbs (not that I'm against learning your conjugations!). Depending what kind of music he's into, Google música pop/rock/etc en español and you should find some artists.

Pradaqueen Fri 08-Apr-16 15:22:43

I can recommend the edexcel spanish app and the postit flash card series. My DD is currently studying with a Skype tutor and doing the course independently of school. Plenty of Skype tutors available in our area (South). Good luck to your DS.

toootired Fri 08-Apr-16 18:21:15

Memrise for vocab. Duolingo. Loads of vocab already on Quizlet.

TeenAndTween Sun 10-Apr-16 21:26:24

DD used BBC Bitesize for Spanish GCSE and found it helpful.
I also bought 'Malvern Guides' which had good lists of vocab.

How long has your DS been learning Spanish - from y7 or only from y10?
Is the 'D' his predicted grade at end y11 or a current 'working at' grade?

I only ask because DD started y10 and so 2 terms in her Spanish was still very rudimentary, but it improved massively by end y11.

Draylon Tue 12-Apr-16 14:36:38

Thanks, off to research.

whyayepetal Tue 12-Apr-16 20:32:36

thanks from me too - also DD Y10 and quite new to Spanish (some lessons in Y9 but just a toe in the water really). She was determined that she wanted to do this rather than French, and is only just starting to get to grips with it a bit. Some good ideas here - off to look. DDs school also uses something called Vocab Express, in case that's of help to you OP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now