Are we likely to be prosecuted for taking our 17yr 6th former out of school term time for a family holiday?

(9 Posts)
joloho35 Mon 21-Mar-16 18:28:27

Hi asking for advice thanks in advance. We haven't ever had a family holiday abroad as a family, an opportunity has come up where we could go for two weeks at the end of June. Our 17 yr old will have finished her exams and will be starting year 13 (upper sixth). Are we likely to face criminal prosecution? Has anyone else done this? Thanks

ihatethecold Mon 21-Mar-16 18:43:56

Do they start yr 13 in July?
If not surely they have the summer off.

YeOldeTrout Mon 21-Mar-16 19:12:45

no

titchy Mon 21-Mar-16 19:24:10

Not sure but following exams our year 12 goes back to sixth form to start lessons on the second year syllabus so she'd have a lot of catching up to do.

guerre Mon 21-Mar-16 19:27:10

Isn't education statutory until 18 now? I would have thought you would be fined.

Orangeanddemons Mon 21-Mar-16 19:30:58

Ours come back last week June, and it's nose to the grindstone straight away.

noeuf Mon 21-Mar-16 19:35:37

No you can't be fined unless the child is of compulsory school age. Raising the age of participation is different and means there have to be enough places and opportunities available but the onus is on the young person to stay in education or training.

Leeds2 Mon 21-Mar-16 20:13:56

Most Year 12s go straight back to school at the end of June/early July (maybe a couple of weeks "off" to do revision during the exam period) to start the year 13 work. Probably depends on the school as to how much is done during that period (my DD did very little, fwiw) but I do know some schools take that time quite seriously. If she is having the very last two weeks of school off, she may find it difficult to catch up with what she has missed, as friends/teachers are less likely, imo, to respond to any requests for catch up help, given they will be in holiday mode.

You will be pleased to know that I am not a teacher, but if I were, I am not sure I would be prepared to spend my holiday/free time helping someone who had missed school in these circumstances to catch up. Sorry!

I wouldn't do it, but given you have never had a family holiday abroad I would certainly be tempted!

joloho35 Tue 22-Mar-16 08:23:30

Great thanks, all I wanted to know is if we'd be prosecuted. She is well able to catch up easily. Some life experience and memories are more important sometimes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now