Sir William Perkins's School (SWPS!)

(35 Posts)
Confused687 Sat 19-Mar-16 14:07:28

Any current opinion? I've searched and only found quite old threads...

Any views welcomed!

Wriggle45 Sat 19-Mar-16 22:10:01

My daughter is in year 8 and loves it.... She has such a lovely group of friends, she isn't 'sporty' but plays hockey and is rowing... Isn't that musical but plays in the training orchestra. The academic side of things is excellent and my DD seems v motivated to try hard.... She's always most affronted if any teacher gives her a 2 effort score! I think it is an excellent, well rounded school if your DD is above average academically. My younger DD needs a learning support safety net.... SWPs didn't seem to try and make any effort to convince us it would be there for her (unlike Tormead for instance) so we have decided on somewhere else for her... Which is a shame in a lot of ways as it would have been great for them (they are close) and me!!

helenwilson Sat 19-Mar-16 22:43:22

One of my sons best friends is going there is September and her older sister is already there. Her parents really like it, she had offers from all the schools she applied to and is very academic - her parents chose SWIPS because they liked it the best, even though it is geographically quite far from them.

RandomMess Sat 19-Mar-16 22:46:44

You can buy the school skirts from John Lewis on line rather than the school uniform shop, they are nearly have the price and much better quality wink

Wriggle45 Sat 19-Mar-16 22:52:59

Thankfully they are apparently having a uniform review soon for introduction in 2017.... Long overdue imo..... New PE kit is big improvement on the old. Am hopeful for a new skirt that my DD can't split the seams on quite so easily when horsing about... Lol

Bazelle Sun 20-Mar-16 08:48:48

Could there be more than one SWPS? are you referring to the secondary school in Ealing that opened 2-3 years ago?

Confused687 Sun 20-Mar-16 12:34:38

It's in Chertsey, Surrey.

Thanks for your opinions. DD is above average academically but is also outdoorsy and I worry there isn't much outdoor space or sport (other than the much promoted rowing).

My biggest question though is, are the girls happy? Is it fun?

wavedancer68 Sun 20-Mar-16 16:10:04

Plenty of Sport at SWPS - various lunchtime and after school sports clubs (with plenty of outdoor space). Take a look at their news letters (under News & Events on the website).

GinandJag Sun 20-Mar-16 18:01:47

My DDs are there. It's a fantastic school. It's very grounded and there is a culture of learning being cool. There are loads of extra curricular activities.

I love it.

GinandJag Sun 20-Mar-16 18:04:26

The site is surprisingly large. They have plenty of room for games and athletics. The new boat house has just opened in Chertsey.

My DD has been doing a DofE expedition today (currently soaking in the bath).

Confused687 Sun 20-Mar-16 18:47:02

Any views on the teachers? Shouty and stress inducing or fun and chilled?

wavedancer68 Sun 20-Mar-16 18:56:52

Teachers: Firm but fair. Obviously some are more fun than others but all are approachable.

GinandJag Sun 20-Mar-16 19:09:39

Not shouty and stressed.

gaslamp Sun 20-Mar-16 22:29:10

DD there in year 7 - loves it! The girls all come in from different schools and the school do well to bring the year group together at the start of year. Mixed intake from state and private. No single type of girl I'd say - each will find her place and her tribe.

Likes her teachers for the main part, inspired by a significant number. Not stressed and shouty. Teachers always v responsive if you have a question - but they very much encourage independence and responsibility - whilst still keeping you in the loop.

Academic but not overly pressured. They set for maths from yr 7 but not other subjects in that year. There is not a huge amount of homework (1 hr max a night, although Dd will do more if they have a test) but they expect it to be done.

They deal quickly and in a straightforward manner with any stuff going on between the girls, tiffs etc, so it nips in the bud. Am really pleased with the pastoral care.

Dd Only does sports clubs but there is a lot of choice of other extra curricular clubs.

All in all - really pleased with our choice. It's a happy down to earth school.

Let me know if you have any questions!

gaslamp Sun 20-Mar-16 22:38:22

Just seen your comment re the sports - Dd plays hockey, netball, football, volleyball in clubs. Class sports in lessons rotate. Can't wait to row next year. Sport is inclusive - and the girls are encouraged to try new sports - but they play hockey and netball competitively - not the others. A and B teams prob have the most games.

No pool but think there is a swimming club, not sure where they swim.

Artistic Sun 20-Mar-16 22:48:46

Could someone comment on their focus on performing arts please? Drama/ singing/instruments etc? Thanks for this thread OP!

GinandJag Mon 21-Mar-16 02:01:00

They use the pool at the health club five minutes walk away.

GinandJag Mon 21-Mar-16 02:04:55

They have several orchestras, including training and advanced. All Year 7s are in the Year 7 choir, and can join the school choir. There is also the Chamber Choir via audition. The are plenty of peri lessons for voice and instruments. There is a purpose built performing arts centre.

They have a big performance each year and a few smaller ones, as well as Autumn and Spring concerts.

Thethingswedoforlove Mon 21-Mar-16 02:15:15

Do they still do the pyrcroft picnic and junior drama?

Confused687 Mon 21-Mar-16 07:48:20

Sounds great!

If you were forced, what would the negatives be?

Confused687 Mon 21-Mar-16 07:52:47

Also, what are the Year 7 and Year 8 trips?

Thank you so much. smile

TeddTess Mon 21-Mar-16 11:59:00

depending on your location it is worth knowing that unlike most other schools, the coaches leave AFTER clubs, making it a very long day. Local girls here (teddington) don't arrive back til 6ish and the bus leaves in the morning about 7.15 i think.

so if you have a daughter who is sporty and/or will do loads of stuff this is great as no late pick ups. If you don't, not so much! Though i guess they can get their homework done.

Confused687 Mon 21-Mar-16 12:50:11

I'm very local.

More important than anything is, is it fun? Are the girls happy? Is there laughter?

More important than league tables IMHO!

wavedancer68 Mon 21-Mar-16 13:29:13

Depends on what kind of fun your DD is looking for?

If she is keen academically and considers it fun to have lots of new things to learn she will have fun.

If she is sporty and wants to do lots of sport there are plenty on offer and she will have fun.

The Music and Drama Department has quite a bit on offer so if she likes acting/singing/dancing she can get involved with that and have fun.

If she wants to giggle and laugh with friends she will find friends to giggle and laugh with, but that will be frowned upon during lessons so she wont have fun because she will be putting other girls off and end up with sanctions. If she wants to giggle and laugh with friends at break, lunch and after school she will have fun.

A big mixture of girls join the school from prep and state junior and they are all mixed up together. Girls are expected to be considerate of each other and are generally happy at the school. If your DD will be joining the school as a 'one' she will soon make friends.

MLP Mon 21-Mar-16 14:07:04

Teddtess, do you know if many girls attend from Twickenham. I like the look of the school but was concerned by the distance from home and the resultant long day. DD is very sporty so I imagine she will be playing lots of stuff after school so maybe not an issue but it's a full day (and an early start).

Was wondering if she would be only one of a handful of Twickenham girls if we went down that route (and got a place). Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now