BTEC PE - Compulsory?

(2 Posts)
VodkaGirl77 Tue 15-Mar-16 20:58:52

Asking here for advice before I decide if I need to do anything further.

Just been at dd1's Year 8 parents evening. She has got to make her GCSE option choices by next week. Compulsory - she has to take GCSE English Language & Lit, Maths, Combined Science, ICT and BTEC PE.

The issue I have is that dd is very academically bright - predicted 9s in all subjects. She hates PE and has no interestin taking this subject to BTEC level.

My question is, I know children have to have PE lessons but is it standard to have to do BTEC PE? The other question is - do universities, particularly Russell Group, look down on subjects like this?

Thanks in advance for your help

tiggytape Tue 15-Mar-16 21:06:59

It isn't compulsory in many or most schools. But some schools do have set subjects that they insist all children take.
R.S is a common one because, like P.E, it is compulsory for the school to teach it beyond KS3 so some schools reason that the students may as well get a qualification in it.
Other schools have option blocks which mean that a student taking drama can't also take music or a student taking art cannot also do photography. It depends on the size of the school and their timetabling.

As for university - if DD gets level 9's across the board, no university is going to be at all put off by a BTEC in P.E. If anything, it will show she has breadth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now