Secondary school

(15 Posts)
Dodi1234 Sat 05-Mar-16 10:08:42

My child has been awarded John colet school 3rd choice but it means her getting a bus at 7.30 in the morning (panic) do I accept this school or go do a more local one like grange or mandeville??? It's so hard

meditrina Sat 05-Mar-16 10:20:11

You will only have received one state offer.

If you have changed your mind about your first preference, you can ask to be put on the waiting lists for schools you now want. It's likely you were added to the waiting lists for your first two preferences automatically by LEA, but worth phoning to check, and you can be added to more.

But whatever you do, accept the offer you have now. The LEA is not obliged to come up with another offer for you, so keep the offer you have until you get an offer from the waiting list for the one you really want.

SueDunome Sat 05-Mar-16 10:34:23

How far from your house is the bus stop? Other than this issue, are you happy with the school?
If the bus stop is not far, I wouldn't worry about it. It may seem strange to start with, because she will only be 11, but in another year you won't even question it. Is it a school bus or a public bus? If a public bus, perhaps you could do a trial run to see what it's like and check she's happy she knows where to get off. Presumably, there will be others getting the bus from the same stop? She's growing up fast and will get more and more independent all the time.

Dodi1234 Sat 05-Mar-16 10:36:17

Ok thanks for reply. Secondary school is such a worry .

Dodi1234 Sat 05-Mar-16 16:04:03

I think she could of done a lot worse than that school so in a way I'm happy it's just she's going there not knowing anybody. It's a school bus and I will have to drive her to pick up point. Think my biggest fear is bullying. Think I will buy a buss pass for myself lol lol

littledrummergirl Sat 05-Mar-16 16:15:40

If it's a state school then always accept the place unless you have a back up plan. E.g. home ed or private.

When you put the school as an option I assime it meant you were happy for her to go there and that the travel etc was ok or it wouldnt have been on your list of preferences. Whats changed?

Stickerrocks Sat 05-Mar-16 18:50:08

We leave home at 7.30 to drive to the nearest bus stop. It's just routine. Welcome to the world of secondary school.

martha27 Sat 05-Mar-16 18:55:47

Any one Know anything about wanstead High in redbridge and leytonstone school, i need to pick after my Child did not get Into chobbam academy in stratford ,help

hedwig2001 Sat 05-Mar-16 19:22:44

Hi Dodi, my son goes to John Colet. He really loves it and has done well there. His catchment school was the Grange, but we were not keen, so very relieved when he got into John Colet.
My son gets the bus to school and has never had any problems. He gets to the bus stop just after 07.30.

Dodi1234 Sat 05-Mar-16 19:39:22

Ahhhh thank you for replying that's such a relief. Feel stupid for worrying. Thanks again

BackforGood Sat 05-Mar-16 19:48:43

My dds have always left at 7.30 - to walk to school and be there in time for 8.30 registration. dd1 has moved to a different 6th form, and it's only 10mns later that she leaves. When you go out at that time, there are LOADS of dc on their way to school - it's just the time people set off for school at secondary level.
If you are otherwise happy with the school, I wouldn't worry on that front. It becomes routine very quickly.

bojorojo Sat 05-Mar-16 19:54:52

I know all these schools. Both the Grange and Mandeville have had Requires Improvement from Ofsted recently. No-one would choose them over John Colet! JC has an early start so, yes, a bit of a problem but I would be grateful i was allocated a place there. Accept JC without hesitation!

bojorojo Sat 05-Mar-16 19:58:22

Why on earth would your DD be bullied going to JC? Honestly, you really have no need to worry. Does she not go anywhere without you? I would start working out how she will do the journey so it seems easy when she does it. Presumably you are in Aylesbury if you have thought about Mandeville and The Grange. These are the schools people would like to steer clear of!

Enkopkaffetak Sat 05-Mar-16 21:18:32

It becomes routine. DS and DD3 both went to schools where they have to leave at 7 am to be there on time (home at 5 pm) To begin with it was strange (especially as the school dd1 and 2 is in has them leave at 7 35 to be home at 3 30. It was a big difference) However now (dd3 in year 7 as the youngest) it is just routine for us all and normal. I quite enjoy it on the mornings I start later I get a nice quiet time in the morning with my tea and MN .

Dodi1234 Sun 06-Mar-16 10:20:44

Of course she goes to places without me. She is the youngest in her class and surely it's normal to be concerned?? Yes I am happy with jc I have already accepted the school and she is on the transport list. Maybe it's just a case of abit of reassurance from fellow mums that have been there. Thanks for all your replies. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now