'Nice' Problem to have....

(14 Posts)
DoodieMeister Tue 01-Mar-16 23:10:11

I am feeling for you all out there. We were allocated our 3rd choice today; that said, it was Watford Grammar school for Girls. With that in mind, does anyone know the best way forward, as the email offer gave no information as to the reason for allocation. If we appeal, the hearing will take place after our offer expires (2weeks). If we don't appeal, the LA assumes that we are happy and require us to accept the allocation. Therefore if we accept the place, we essentially have to take the place given. And we if we do appeal, we have very little chance of success and may lose the great school that we do have.....

bojorojo Tue 01-Mar-16 23:14:13

What is wrong with the school you were allocated? I thought it is an excellent one?

bojorojo Tue 01-Mar-16 23:16:25

Usually the reason for an allocation to a certain school rather than the ones you preferred is because other people were higher up the criteria than you. They were allocated above you. Honestly, why bother to appeal?

travailtotravel Tue 01-Mar-16 23:19:03

Bloody hell. Where is one if you got WGGS? Not in the slightest bit biased by the excellent start in life it gave me, obvs.

tiggytape Tue 01-Mar-16 23:24:01

Accepting the place is reversible. You aren't committing yourself to it, merely keeping it as a guaranteed school place option in the bag for September unless or until something better comes along.
You can still appeal for the school or schools you wanted more and having accepted a place already has no bearing on that at all (in fact, if anything, the appeal panels tend to take a dim view of people who stubbornly refuse their first offer and pin everything on an appeal outcome).

The appeal hearing isn't likely to be for weeks or even months and you are not expected to hang on for the outcome before accepting or rejecting today's offer.

It is a given that you accept the offer made today and appeal for one you want more. If you win then you drop your offer at Watford Grammar and accept the place that the appeal hearing grants you. If you lose you just keep the place at Watford Grammar (assuming you don't get in somewhere else via the waiting list or even into the appeal school via waiting list as some do after an unsuccessful appeal).

tiggytape Tue 01-Mar-16 23:25:06

(to clarify the phrase "something better comes along"
That isn't a reflection of my view of the school but of OP's in the sense that there are at least 2 schools she wanted more than this one)

Blu Tue 01-Mar-16 23:40:37

Yes, definitely accept the place!

Then make sure you are on the waiting lists for the school's higher up your list.

If you decline the place you have they wi re-allocate that place to someone else. Then if waiting list / appeal fails you will be allocated a place from anywhere that still had one. I.e the places that no one else eants.

Threesoundslikealot Tue 01-Mar-16 23:44:46

Just waving at a fellow old girl. Nothing to add other than wonder madly what your first preference is.

DoodieMeister Tue 01-Mar-16 23:51:51

Cheers for the advice folks. For those interested, Parmiters was number 1 and St Clement Danes number 2......I know that our daughter should be biting off the hands of Watford Grammar, but we obviously want to do the best by our eldest.

MumTryingHerBest Wed 02-Mar-16 00:08:32

DoodieMeister accept the school place you will likely get StCDs from the CI (StCDs normally falls by around 8-10 marks by September).

I think you will possibly get Parmiters too (parmiters academic cut off went down by 10 marks last year normally falls by 5-6 points with the odd exception every now and again).

My DS got StCD btw.

HPFA Wed 02-Mar-16 08:32:10

OP, here in Oxfordshire Cherwell School has turned away 160 people this year, it is probably the most desired school in the county. According to the admission figures someone has been offered a place on a third preference. So they too must have preferred two other schools and I cannot imagine what they are! But like you they probably had good reasons! You are not alone.
As you say it's not a bad problem to have

MumTryingHerBest Wed 02-Mar-16 10:37:24

HPFA it looks like the academic cut off score for Watford Girls dropped a fair bit his year. The distance cut off has nearly doubled (not hard given how small it was in the first place). So I don't think OP was the only one not putting it as first option.

We put Watford Boys as our fourth preference and my DCs score was more than high enough (we live 10 minutes walk away).

wavedancer68 Wed 02-Mar-16 10:39:07

Take the place.

CeciCC Wed 02-Mar-16 12:49:42

Hi OP,
My DD2 did get allocated SCD on allocations day. In the email I did received, there are links to the herts website. In one of them, and with your login/parent ID and password, might give you the information that you are after, under which catagory your DD have been allocated the school: distance/music./academic, etc. I don't really need it as my DD2 got in with sibling rule, so I am not sure if that is correct, but not harm in trying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now