Typing or writing in exams?

(8 Posts)
EdtechSurvey Fri 26-Feb-16 16:06:00

Hi,
I'm working on technology that could help some students do better in exams, could you answer me one question about your children and typing or writing in exams?

www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/ZJTM6ZB

Thanks

TeenAndTween Fri 26-Feb-16 16:46:03

I gave an answer but I think it is generally a 'how long is a piece of string' question - too many variables

- essay based v numerical
- short answers v long answers
- is everyone else handwriting and you are one of few to type
- multiple choice questions
- 'circle' the correct answer questions
- reading off graphs & plotting graphs
- MFLs
- question booklets to be filled in v separate answer sheets

ChalkHearts Fri 26-Feb-16 17:48:57

My DS does type in exams. So do lots of pupils. For a variety of reasons.

TeenAndTween Fri 26-Feb-16 18:15:38

Chalk Exactly.

My DD typed in some of her GCSEs, but not in others, depending on the subject and the format of the exam.

BackforGood Sat 27-Feb-16 23:28:59

I agree with the others - this is not an "in depth" enough survey. There are all sorts of variables.
My ds severed a tendon before his A-level mocks, and had a scribe for some and a computer for others - he thought it would be great but actually found it very frustrating, and created all sorts of problems he hadn't anticipated.
OTOH, it is essential for some students.
If students had full time access to the device they would be using in the exams for all other lessons, revision, mocks, etc., then it would be different from "borrow a laptop from the SEN department for this exam then".
The fact it's different from the usual, makes it difficult / less of an advantage.

GinandJag Sun 28-Feb-16 08:11:59

Using a laptop, or any other access arrangement, in an exam has to be the student's normal way of working.

Hassled Sun 28-Feb-16 08:16:43

That really is a pointless survey and I don't get the sense that you've thought through the variables. My Dyspraxic son just couldn't complete any sort of exam paper without access to a lap-top. And what about the exams where a laptop isn't really appropriate - a GCSE maths paper, say? In that case, my son gets extra time.

GinandJag Sun 28-Feb-16 08:23:33

If your son gets extra time in maths, he should get it for all his exams.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now