box hill school anyone?

(8 Posts)
SinAndTonic Fri 19-Feb-16 22:23:24

Hows it doing these days? Ds has an offer - other schools too - just looking for insight really.
TIA

imelda3 Wed 24-Feb-16 18:01:04

Would also be interested to know please.

Thanks

ReigateMum Wed 24-Feb-16 18:30:10

Hmm ... difficult to say really. It's been through some turmoil and bad press in recent years.
Think the new Head (old Deputy) is well respected by parents though.

It will depend on what you are looking for really for your DS - what is he like, what are his interests?

We know several families with kids there who seem happy.

In my opinion (and from what I've heard):
++
Good for outdoorsy/ active kids
Strong links with other schools internationally for exchanges etc
Caters for 'quirky' kids/ special needs better than some other schools

--
Not renowned for its academic success (although some students do excel if they are already bright)

It lost out in the last 18 months when Dunottar in Reigate was taken over by United Learning and started taking boys. A whole group of boys moved en masse to Dunottar one year.

What are your other options?

ReigateMum Thu 25-Feb-16 16:32:17

Funnily enough there is an article on BBC today about Kurt Hahn, the guy who was instrumental in setting up the Duke of Edinburgh's Award scheme, established Gordounstoun and inspired the Round Square organisation of schools (of which Box Hill is one).
Here

imelda3 Thu 25-Feb-16 16:51:49

Thanks very much for this ReigateMum - I will have a look at the article and plan to visit the school. I have 2 DCs to place and am looking for pretty much everything except a hothouse!

ReigateMum Thu 25-Feb-16 18:52:07

imelda - are the local state schools not any good near you, or have you missed the deadlines/ not got a place?

I suspect my kids are at what would be considered a 'hothouse', but it only really got 'hot' in GCSE year, and I suspect that's typical everywhere!

PM me if you want?

Charliefarliegirl Tue 14-Jun-16 17:54:21

DS joined it this year. Headmaster is very good and on the ball. Children are streamed based on academic ability. DS has blossomed outside the high pressurised environment - in fact it's moved him on considerably. Lots of good pastoral care. Because it's small, nothing gets overlooked and everything is on their electronic system (essential for working parents). One thing I have really noticed is that all pupils have the opportunity to shine in something and success across all abilities is supported and celebrated. All are positively encouraged All in all a very good experience so far. Hope this helps

CBC1 Tue 28-Jun-16 06:45:24

Thanks for your feed to this string. We are considering BH for my son currently at a hot house. It's refreshing to see positive comments as there is a lot of negative press on the web. Do you know if BH is doing anything about that? We took a one/one tour and thought it was good but seems it has gone through some unfortunate times/issues....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now