KewHouse school?

(7 Posts)
Fridayschild Fri 19-Feb-16 19:57:42

I am thinking about Kew House school for DS. There are some old threads with positive vibes. I wondered if anyone had any actual experience they felt able to share on this thread or via PM?

Goodenough22 Fri 19-Feb-16 22:01:16

Me too - I am hoping that others will actively chose the school this year - I know many consider it as a back up, but it appears to offer a different approach that attracts us over others we have offers from...

alldonenow2 Mon 22-Feb-16 09:09:35

I have a ds in year 7. The school was a first choice for us - one key criteria we were looking for was a mixed school and that limits options in West London. I think there are a lot of dc there for the same reason - especially boys.

He has settled very well - the system of forms and tutor groups means the classes mix well and he has lots of friends across the school year.

Extra curricular activities are superb - as it is a small school they get to join clubs in year 7 that are only open to older kids in bigger schools. Formula E and rowing are very popular.

Sport is inclusive and varied - he has played endless table tennis (it's a school wide obsession - they have tables in the grounds and coaches who come in), swam in a few galas, learned to play rugby and played almost more matches than practice sessions, loved football (again lots of matches), has his first regatta coming up.....

Academically he is working hard - they are set for maths and English from the beginning. I have been very impressed with the language teaching - he is making very rapid progress in Spanish and French. Homework is constant but not overwhelming - lots of use of the online curriculum to check they have understood what they did in class.

He is a quiet boy but has really come out of his shell at Kew as he feels so comfortable there - he's bright (level 6 sats) and there is plenty tochallenge him - not all the children are super high fliers but there are a good number who are - and who chose Kew over more established schools.

Fridayschild Sat 27-Feb-16 06:49:37

Thank you. We have a tour booked quite soon, fingers crossed!

Madstar2 Mon 29-Feb-16 10:42:46

We are moving to UK in summer and I'm going in very blind as I'm not familiar at all with UK Schools. I recently visited Radnor House (I didn't tour, just met headmaster at the entrance of the school) - which seems like a good option? We like strong academics but are more interested in the grooming of the whole child. I'm also researching Kew House which also seems like a good option? We will choose area to live once we find the right school. My son will going into year 9 and daugther into year 6. I'm feeling the pressure smile Your input will be hugely appreciated. Thanks.

Wlondonparent Mon 29-Feb-16 18:18:41

I think you need to be honest with yourself about how important academic success is for you. Kew House is a perfectly good school, as is Radnor House, but neither is in the top band of academic schools. If you are keen on Co-ed, Latymer upper is more academic, as is Kingston Grammar School in the South west/ West London,central London area. Ibstock Place School may be another place to look. If you are keen on single sex schools, that's a whole different conversation! First stop - look at the websites. Second stop, post here with specific questions. Although, you should remember that all of these private schools are good schools - they just have different strengths. And by the way, welcome to London - it's a great city!

BizzyBuzz Mon 06-Jun-16 09:32:28

I know a few families who have children there. They are very pleased with the school and find the Head to have a strong vision. Class size is capped at 22 pupils. Main entry is Year 7. Expect a wait list after that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now